Postby Warden » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Hello all,

It's taken me a little longer than I meant to get here to do this, and I don't know if I'm in the correct forum for such things...

On the forums and in ICQ I am known as Warden. My character names on Sonoma are as follows:

Avorion - mage/tamer (only guilded character, currently in PAR)
Zirael - swords/parry/healing
Azekah - smith/tailor/carpenter/tinker/soon-to-be imbuer
Tac Mariner - treasure hunter in training
Garrett - lumberjack, miner, fisherman, etc.

I would eventually like all my characters in PAS. My main is definitely Avorion, though.

I played for about three years starting in 1999, and just came back about a month ago on a 14-day free Stygian trial account. I liked it enough that I reactivated my old account and found my characters (and pets!) still there. I was in HOG back then, for those who knew them.

A lot of you have asked if I need anything to get started again. I have most everything I need including a house not far outside of Britain. About the only thing I am really shopping for are power scrolls, which did not exist back when I quit. I can't yet afford the 5 million for a 120 taming PS, so meanwhile I am looking for lower-level scrolls for taming, vet, animal lore, and maybe magery. I already have a 105 for animal lore.

It's been nice to meet you all. Cheers!
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:14 pm

welcome to PAS!

If you can catch up with me this weekend, I can get u a free 120 taming PS to help u get going.

I should be around Saturday and Sunday night (I hope).

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby KDSonoma » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:15 pm

and for those REALLY old school PAS, u will remember HOG as one of the members of the Sonoma Alliance with PAS. Good folks.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Maldar » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Welcome back, Warden! :typing: :news:
Maldar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 3
One Eyed Jack's Stand of Cour (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Ciara » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:27 am

Hi Warden! Thanks for the introduction on the boards!

I remember HOG. I have been playing since 2000. It was a very respected guild back then.

After you complete your 2 week PAR initiation time, we will be glad to add you to PAS, and you may have all the characters you want in the PAS guild.

Just so you know, you may ask for any 110 scroll we have at the Crafter House, which you are welcome to for no charge whatever for your characters. We have most 110s power scrolls available. The folks active on Crafter House staff now who can access the boxes are the Crafter House staff are Ciara, Carnes the Wise, Damien Kilcannon, Eleanor Rigby, Chalnoth Tholl, Tiger, and WildFlower. (There are a couple others who aren't active at the moment).

If there are 110s you would like, just post a list here, and we'll see you get them.

Good to have you in the guild!
Ciara
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Eleanor Rigby » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:19 am

Welcome aboard and look forward to meeting you in game!

~Eleanor
Eleanor Rigby
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 2
Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:56 am

Hello Warden, Welcome to PAS!!! Look forward to hunting with you when I get a chance to log in...LOL!!!
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Postby Warden » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Thanks for the welcome, guys. And I obviously asked the right people about power scrolls! Thanks! I'm also going to need to discuss my tamer template a bit. Right now I am what was the classic mage/tamer: magery, med, eval, resist spells, taming, vet, lore. But I am starting to think I could really use at least Peacemaking of some sort when I tame the nastier mobs. I looked into Honor a bit to use instead of Peacemaking, but the rules for gaining honor sounded pretty irritating for a tamer: no ranged attacks, no pets, no summons, etc.
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:17 am

You can still gain honor with a tamer using pets I believe just takes longer to get to a useful level..

same with archery...however if after you attack the mob with an archer if you do not move then you will get same gain as a fencer or swordsman...
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Warden » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:24 am

Yeah, it said that you could use ranged if you didn't move from the place where you honored the opponent, but that gets a little tricky for a non-wrestling mage. Especially when you let them damage you first (another rule.) How tough of mobs do you have to kill to get good honor? Do you have to kill higher-level mobs to get to the higher levels of honor? If not, it would be a lot more doable.
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Ciara » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:51 am

Low level monsters don't really give honor. When I want to gain honor, I go for an ogre lord, or arctic ogre lord, as they give decent honor but not too hard. There is a spot in Despise where you can lure one ogre lord off by itself. Demons also give good honor. I'm sure many people have methods.

What I do with my archer is come within distance to honor with my bow off, wait for the ogre to attack, and I run to a safe distance, stop and shoot. They don't move real fast.

Hope this helps! I'm sure lots of folks would be glad to help you with template design. Just post your questions. :)
Last edited by Ciara on Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ciara
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Warden » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:27 am

Thanks, it does help. I am familiar with that area of Despise, so I will give it a shot and see what kind of honor I can get.
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Ciara » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:46 am

Actually you don't need to let the ogre lord damage you, just let it go in attack mode first in order to get the most honor. I move slightly away as soon as I have honored it.
Ciara
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:44 am

Ciara wrote:Actually you don't need to let the ogre lord damage you, just let it go in attack mode first in order to get the most honor. I move slightly away as soon as I have honored it.

this I was not aware of...I thought they had to hit you first...I never worried about that part and just hacked away at em...LOL
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Ciara » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:04 pm

UO Guide: Honor--When activated via the Virtues Menu, you may target a given creature that is entirely undamaged (that is, it's Hit Points, Stamina and Mana levels must be at their maximum). It could originally be used against players in addition to creatures, though this was removed in a later publish.

If you then kill the creature you are granted honor in accordance to its fame level and how "honorably" you fought it. Allowing your target the first blow and staying close to it will grant you higher levels of honor then using ranged attacks from a distance.

Honor works hand in hand with Bushido in that activating it with a skill of 50 points or more also initiates the Perfection system.

That is what the UO guide says. I gain honor quite well with the method I described. Perhaps I would gain more if the Ogre lord actually hit me, but in general, I let it go in attack mode, and I then move back. Once I arm my bow auto-attacks. That is how I was taught to do it long ago, and I don't remember who showed me.
Ciara
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Next

Return to PAS Guild