I just had to share this story

I just had to share this story

Postby KDSonoma » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:22 pm

As many know, I work at a public school district in Texas. I read and hear comments from time to time from older citizens about how "kids these days" don't stack up etc vs the citizens that are criticizing them.

Well, I'm proud of our school district, and was even more proud when I heard this story.

I'm sure that Homecoming King and Queen is a huge deal in other states, but because football is king here in Texas, we really make a big deal about who gets elected Homecoming King and Queen and their court.

I know this story will drop off the main page eventually, so Im going to paste the link and copy-paste the story (its currently near the bottom). In a nutshell, our High School kids voted two special needs students as the homecoming King and Queen. They received a HUGE standing ovation not only from our fans, but from the opposing team's fans, and all the players in the game.

Wow. I guess "kids these days" can do amazing things.

http://www.georgetownisd.org/ghs/

A TRIBUTE TO THE CHARACTER OF OUR STUDENTS

"If I could speak, these might be my very words….to the students of GHS

I was blown away Friday night when you chose to crown my friend Jared and I as GHS’S Homecoming King and Queen. One thing you might now know is over 15 years ago, my heart stopped beating for 20 minutes and left my body broken and my brain injured. None of the doctors believed I would live much less ever smile again. So when God chose to give me back my smile I knew I would always have to share it with who ever was nearby.

When you grow up different than most kids in the world, you begin to adjust and understand those differences might not ever be accepted or celebrated but even less likely to be honored. Jared and I have never been recognized as we were on Friday night. We will never forget what it felt like… the lights, the band, the thousands of students cheering us on; it was our first true moment of acceptance and love from everyone collectively. Even if I could speak I would never be able to fully express or think you would fully understand the significance of what you did. When my name was announced I felt the magnitude of God’s love for me through the choice that you made.

You chose to honor Jared and me in a way that we could never have attained or accomplished on our own. You looked beyond our weaknesses and differences to sweetly bless us in a way that was more a reflection of your character than anything else. This past Friday, GHS stood out in a way that will be remembered for many years to come not only by Jared and me but by everyone who witnessed it from the stands. GHS you set an example for the younger generation that could only wonder why you didn’t pick the most beautiful or most popular girl and guy. Your vote might begin to teach those younger to place value on all people no matter whether they are able to attain straight A’s or just give the gift of a smile. I ask that each of you will continue to go out of your way to interact with students like us….we crave that encouragement from you! Don’t worry how we respond, it will probably be different than what is comfortable but don’t stop…you make us great! Peer Buddies you truly do lift the students of CBI high on Eagles Wings…thank you for choosing to hang out with students like us.

And finally to my teachers….thanks for always believing not only in me but also in every “special” student in CBI. Without each of you and your contagious love, this would have never happened. Your daily patience with each of us keeps us striving towards reaching our God given potential.

Next time you look up into a night sky, I want you to think of each heart at Georgetown High School and know that Friday night your hearts shone brighter than any of the stars!

Proverbs 13:12 says “Hope deferred makes the heart sick but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.Georgetown High School is a tree of life not only to Jared and I but to every “special” student.

With a smile,
Gracie"

I just had to brag about the quality of the kids at Georgetown High School.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Chalnoth Tholl » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Thanks for sharing this KD. You are right to be proud of your students
Chalnoth Tholl
PAS GM
PAS GM

Medals: 3
One Eyed Jack's Stand of Cour (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) People’s Medal of Virtues (1)

Postby Ciara » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:59 am

This is a great story, KD. Thank you for sharing it.

Did Gracie write that message? It was beautifully conceived and expressed. All who know the kids at GHI should be proud to be part of this special "Homecoming".
Ciara
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:41 am

I believe Gracie's mom wrote the words that she felt that Gracie would use to express her feelings. I don't believe Gracie can talk.

I had 5 of my peers call me this week to tell me how impressed they were with our students.

Two of them also remembered another story they heard about our HS kids from a couple of years ago. We were playing a basketball game and one of the opposing players blew out their sneakers in the third quarter, and their team didnt have any extras. So one of our kids took his off and let their player use the sneakers to finish the game.

I loved that story because I was a HS basketball player.

It reminded me of a game that my team (mostly anglo) played a team that was mostly African American, and a fight broke out in the stands between parents. You could see the bleachers split down the middle, and some idiot parents on both sides were getting ugly. I was at mid court while the refs were trying to blow their whistles at the crowd, with the guy I was guarding. I turned to him and said "Isn't it sad when the kids are smarter and more mature than the parents?". He turned to me and said "Yeah and think how much nicer the world is going to be when we are the parents in the stands and our kids are playing here."

So I asked him to call his team to midcourt, and I called my guys to midcourt, and we just started shaking hands with each other. It was pretty amazing, as the fights stopped, and the parents not involved in the fights started clapping for us, and finally everyone was standing, and both teams including the guys on the bench came to mid court and exchanged handshakes.

That was fun.

Then right before the game resumed, the guy I was guarding came up to me and said "You realize I'm still going to beat you now". I smiled and said "bring it" and we both laughed.

Our team ended up winning big, but to be honest, no one cared too much about the score. And most of the parents hung around and talked after the game. It was nice to see. And that was in 1977 in Texas, which was a totally different world than today.

Sorry, that just popped into my head. Every time I remember that game and the guy I guarded I just smile.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Eleanor Rigby » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:03 am

What a wonderful celebration for everyone! Thanks for sharing it with us, KD. You have amazing students indeed.

~Eleanor
Eleanor Rigby
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 2
Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Return to PAS Guild