SUSPICIOUS EMAIL ALERT!

Look here for major updates and announcements

SUSPICIOUS EMAIL ALERT!

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Thu May 13, 2010 6:06 pm

I just got off of work and opened my email and found this email...I did NOT go to the link of course because it just looks suspicious to me...Anyone else received this?...Anyone know if it is a hoax or not?...

Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Thu May 13, 2010 6:13 pm

Ok, NCsoft sounded familiar so I googled them...they make several games and only one of which I have ever played and it was well over a year ago...I am thinking this was a scam email...but if anyone has any info to the contrary please let me know...thanks
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Thu May 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Okay, I am a risk taker...always have been for better or worse...mostly worse...haha...I clicked the link...thank GOD I have good virus protection...page never even loaded and was on an alert as a dangerous website...so that answers that...if anyone else gets this email PLEASE do not attempt to go to the link...it is bad mojo
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Ciara » Thu May 13, 2010 6:59 pm

I have been getting similar e-mails saying my account password was changed , and to log in to a site if I did not change it (I didn't) for Blizzard and for other games. Almost fell for it the first time, called Blizzard. Turned out my WoW account had been stolen but a long time before, and the e-mail was a scam.
Ciara
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Darkstar » Thu May 13, 2010 7:00 pm

Thank you
Darkstar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 3
Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Me, too

Postby Maldar » Thu May 13, 2010 10:39 pm

I received this exact same email today. I marked it as spam. It is an obvious scam attempt. Do NOT click the link.
Maldar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

One Eyed Jack's Stand of Cour (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Mystique » Sun May 16, 2010 6:58 pm

That is great to let us know about this e-mail scam.

I finally had to turn off my Junk mail. I only now receive e-mails from my contact list. Have missed a few not junk e-mail but rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks again. :D
*Hugs & Smiles*

Yesterday is History; Tomorrow a Mystery; Today a Gift
Mystique
In Memory
In Memory

Postby Irwin Hunter » Sun May 16, 2010 10:57 pm

I get this kind of crap all of the time. If a program developer was going to kick you out... Your first hint would be that you would not even be able to sign in. Otherwise, I would never put any weight on any of this sort of junk. Beware also that if you call them to verify, that you look up thier contact number on thier contact us location in the website that you probably have save in your favorites somewhere. Do not buy into the complimentary number they give you there. Hopefully, that would be common sense though.
Want the scam I get? An E-mail with what looks like FBI type introduction page, signed by Mueller himself asking me to help them capture internet hackers and online money swindlers. Let me tell you how many times I have spammed that one.
Irwin Hunter
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Irwin Hunter » Sun May 16, 2010 11:30 pm

Heh, and speaking of the crap, I went to read my emails tonight... I get this BS all the time:

FROM MRS.HENDRIETTA IPELENG BOGOPANE-ZULU
DEPUTY MINISTER OF PUBLIC WORKS
SOUTH AFRICA
TEL: +27-77-222-1809
E-mail: zuluhend2010@gmail.com

Hello,

Firstly, let me start by introducing my self as MRS. HENDRIETTA IPELENG BOGOPANE-ZULU, I am visually impaired, Widow, a mother of three children and the Deputy Minister of Public Works from 11th May 2009 under the auspices of thenew President of South Africa Mr. JACOB ZUMA.

After the swearing in ceremony of 1999 making me the chairperson of Parliamentary Joint Monitoring Committee, a lot of government contracts were awarded to my late husband with my influence, this actually paved way to our success, my late husband died while he was on an official trip to Trinidad and Tobago in 2004.you can view my profile at the Government website www.gov.zaclick on, Contact Information, then click on Deputy Ministries, and click on public works, click on my name Mrs Hendrietta Ipeleng Bogopane-Zulu and read about me.

After his death, I discovered that he had some funds in a dollar account which amounted to the sum of US$30.5M with a security and finance institution here inSouth Africa of which I will divulge information to you when I get your full consent and support to go for a change of beneficiary and subsequent transfer of the funds into your comfortable and conducive account of your choice.

I will see to it that the account is not traced from South Africa . As soon as you have confirmed the fund into your account, I will send my eldest son with my Attorney to come to your country to discuss on business investments. For your assistance, I am offering you 20% of the principal sum which amounts to US$6,100.000.00 (Six million One Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only) However, you have to assure me and also be ready to go into agreement with me that you will not elope with my fund. If you agree to my terms, kindly as a matter of urgency send me an email. Due to my sensitive position in the South African Government. You Reserve the right to decline the offer, if found not comfortable with your principle as BEING QUA BEING.

PLEASE DO NOT CALL ON THE OFFICE LINE, BECAUSE OF THE SENSITIVITY OF THIS TRANSACTION EXCEPT OF THE ABOVE DIRECT LINE.
I prefer you send me email than call. All correspondence must be by email to any of my private e-mail addresses: Thanks for your anticipated co-operation and my regards to your family.

Yours

Faithfully,

MRS. HENDRIETTA ZULU
Deputy Minister of Public Works
Republic Of South Africa
TEL: +27-77-222-1809
Email: zuluhend2010@gmail.com

Please dont tell me people actually fall for this HOOEY! :smt066 :smt068 :smt071 :mumum: :KnightBlack:

Another one bites the *SPAM BUTTON*
Irwin Hunter
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Oblixt » Mon May 17, 2010 9:55 am

Ya that's a phishing email for Aion accounts, been a big deal lately. If you mouse over the URL in the email, you'll see down at the bottom left in your browser the true link. I get the NCSoft one fairly often and around 10 a week for warcraft. Also, game companys don't send you "your account MIGHT be in trouble" emails. They'll shut your account off then send an email explaining why.
You can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter!"
Oblixt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Facebook

Postby Maldar » Mon May 17, 2010 10:42 am

Just out of curiosity, do those of you that are receiving the emails regarding game accounts happen to have a Facebook account that mentions Ultima Online in your bio?
Maldar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

One Eyed Jack's Stand of Cour (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Mon May 17, 2010 10:54 am

I do not...and the company NCsoft does not have anything to do with UO that I know of...they made Guild Wars and a few other games...Guild Wars is the only one I ever tried to play...
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Maldar » Mon May 17, 2010 11:50 am

Hmmm.....I thought that maybe Facebook was where they mined their info. I had UO listed on my bio before I canned my account due to security holes galore. I have never played any online game besides UO, which I have played for around 11 years now. I can't imagine where they got my email address from then.
Maldar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Return to Major Announcements