Steam summer sale starts today!

Look here for major updates and announcements

Steam summer sale starts today!

Postby KDSonoma » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:59 am

OK so this will not impact many UO players, but for those of us that live for Steam sales, this summer 2018 sale is supposed to be the best ever.

It's only a couple of hours away, so I'm headed to my PC right after work to see what great discounts are out there on games I have flagged on my wish list.

Reality will, of course set in later, when I realize I will likely only want to buy 2-3 games (since the discounts will not be quite at my trigger price to buy).

But it's still fun to anticipate the big week of sales. And yes, I will still make it to the PAS event tonight :)

KD
KD

PAS Rocks Sonoma!
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Re: Steam summer sale starts today!

Postby Pharon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 pm

I love the summer sale!
Pharon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 3
Bela Lugosi Medal of Valor (1) Blackstaff Medal of Spiritualy (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1)

Postby xare » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Anyone find anything good?
"I had it all! I had it all and then I lost it. Lost... all gone... like... my mind. My mind is like... cheese. I like cheese."

"I'm not a bad influence, I'm an enabler."
xare
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Bela Lugosi Medal of Valor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:29 pm

meh. A few titles are cool for me, but I tend to like:

Wargames like Hearts of Iron 4 and Gary Grigsby's huge WW2 games (War in East/West) - did not find anything in the sale that I don't already have'

Games like old school command and conquer - I play C&C 3 Tiberium Wars against 3-4 AI computer opponents - found a couple like Forged Battalion - but its still not as good as C&C 3 Tiberium.

Isometric games like Diablo 3 - I play Grim Dawn a lot - others like Tyranny are 65% off, but I am waiting for a steeper discount maybe by winter sale.

And some old school isometric like Baldurs gate and the old Ultima games - bought Icewind Dale, Eador Imperium, and Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition - all for about $4, will try them out this weekend (all very old school).

I also bought Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War 3 - looks to be crappy, but for $10 (like 75% off), figured to try it out. I will eventually get Total War Warhammer 2 when the price is cheaper - $45 at 25% off is too high for me.

The nicest thing about Steam is as long as you bought a game within a week (I think), and played less than a certain number of hours, you can get a refund if you dont like it, all automated. So I buy a few games on sale, try them out for an hour and then decide to keep them or get a refund. I end up keeping about 2/3 of the ones I buy.

The princesses play the much more recent games (FPSs like Player Unknowns Battlegrounds till too many hackers played, etc.). They love the indie games and games from smaller studios (like Don't Starve). They are playing Cuphead coop together now.

KD
KD

PAS Rocks Sonoma!
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Pharon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Nothing yet for me. I guess KD and I have the same taste in games.

I really want to get Raft but I want to buy 2 copies so my wife and I can play together.

Waiting to see if it goes on sale.

But, yeah nothing really exciting so far.
Pharon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Bela Lugosi Medal of Valor (1) Blackstaff Medal of Spiritualy (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:14 pm

only took me about 5 minutes playing these games to request a refund (arg):

Planescape
Eador Imperium
Armelle
Icewind Dale

Am likely keeping only 2 so far:

Tyranny
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 3

Warhammer would be going back if it cost more than $10 hehe but I guess its still worth keeping at $10.

FYI, here's my games I play when I want to relax and finish a game within 20 min or less:

Command HQ
Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
Lux Delux (like risk)

all the above cost me less than $5 w=each

Games I play when I want to spend more time:

Panzer Corps (like the old Panzer General, but much improved) (takes me 30 min per turn for a campaign battle, takes me about 12 nights to finish a campaign as US, German, or Russians)
Civ V (takes me 3 hrs to finish vs 4-6 AI)
Stellaris (takes me 2 hours per session, games take 30+ hours normally over 2 or more weeks)
Grim Dawn (like Diablo 3) (takes me about 1 hour for a session, takes forever to finish anything)

Hearts of Iron III or IV .. 3 is the most fun, I like to play Italy on easy setting and I conquer Africa, middle east, india, invade britain and conquer, and finish off ussr for the Germans .. takes me 4 hours to set up the game (reorganize all the hqs, units to the way I want them, then i play 3-4 hours at a time), takes about 40 hours to take the world as the Italians. Whats fun is my german allies sometimes do well, sometimes I have to bail them out, same with Japan. That makes the game a big challenge. Once I had to send 40Z+ infantry divisions to Berlin to save them from defeat in 1940 rofl, and my armor then slashed behind the russians and destroyed 2/3 of everything they had. Took Moscow in 1940, the rest of the USSR in 1941.

I could write a book about each HOI 3 game I've played. Always different historical events.

KD
KD

PAS Rocks Sonoma!
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Pharon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:33 pm

I own HOI IV, but I was not able to get into it.

I love the entire Command and Conquer Series. Along with Age of Empires.

I find the Total War games a lot of fun, and also enjoy Company of Heroes once in a while.

In the last year I have spent more time playing Cities: Skylines than anything else. It is so easy to get into for just 20 or 30 mins.
Pharon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby xare » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm

I love the entire Command and Conquer Series.

I hope we all are ignoring the existence of C&C4.
"I had it all! I had it all and then I lost it. Lost... all gone... like... my mind. My mind is like... cheese. I like cheese."

"I'm not a bad influence, I'm an enabler."
xare
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Bela Lugosi Medal of Valor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:26 pm

absolutely, C&C 4 destroyed the series :(

And yeah HOI 4 for me is a bit of a dropoff. It did add some cool looking views and zoom ins and outs, but it added too many weird tech options for me. But I was spoiled by HOI 3 being so good. Especially when I figured out how to win the game as Italy. The most difficult part was figuring out how the heck to take Malta and Gibraltar as Italy. Italian marines and a serious game flaw ftw :)

I had tried to invade Gibraltar, and realized you couldnt take it from the Mediterranean (what?). So I built my Marines starting right away so I could get 6 marine divisions with 1/3 of my surface fleet and transports before Italy got into the big war (I also stayed in the Ethiopia war to take advantage of the war economy longer than I should have). After I upgraded transports and marines, I put nothing into air or naval, everything I could to production and the rest into infantry and armor. So I loaded my marines and fleet and sent them all the way around Africa to sit at sea for months rofl just off Gibraltar in the Atlantic. I then got some surface fleets and transports and 6 more marine divisions ready near malta. And then I loaded up my armor and infantry in ports to get them ready for Africa.

Then when I got to declare war, I landed at Gibraltar and Malta and kept those surface fleets to help bombard, invaded Egypt on land in Libya with only infantry, and then moved my fleet with armor ad infantry along the coast of greece and Turkey and landed in Syria behind the British.

that made the British ion Egypt panic and run east. My infantry surrounded them and finished them while my armor took off for Saudi Arabia and eventually India, taking all the ports.

When my fleet at Gibraltar was finished there, they headed to Germany and eventually French ports in the west of France. By then, I was railroading tons of infantry and armor through france to the new ports. I then invaded west Britain and unleashed everything there across Britain, which only had 5 or 6 divisions. By then my German allies needed help with Russia, so I took most of my army back to Europe and into southern Russia (along with some armies moving across to India up around Turkey to Russian oil in the south.

TONS of fun even if I had to game the game to get it done with Italy.

And I did it all without any air and few naval units after the first 3 months of war. Sometimes I even declared war on Turkey to see how that would go (the Russians would send units south into Turkey that got bogged in the mountains and eventually surrounded by my guys and wiped out

Makes me want to play another game of HOI 3.

KD
KD

PAS Rocks Sonoma!
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Return to Major Announcements