Gauntlet Info - On the lighter side

Talk about anything that's clean.

Gauntlet Info - On the lighter side

Postby kyra » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:24 am

When we were at the Gauntlet the other night ... someone asked for the names of the Monsters in the Rooms, and information about them. Sadly, I could only give one of those vague answers (ie ... Room 2 is the Squishy Bugs ... Room 5 .. ugh .. they hate me).

So in an effort to be better informed, I present the following information ... disclaimer disclaimer yadda yadda ... this is just what I think I know. If anyone has more info to add or wants to correct anything, please feel free to do so.

1st off ... as you go down the Hallway to the South .... There's a sort of "hidden door" on the east side. If you run straight East through that door, blindly thru the darkness ... you'll eventually arrive at Nix-the-Scalper's Shop. Nix is a great guy. He'll sell you the things you can't live without for a very hefty price. Before you buy, ask around. Some of us bring extra supplies with us. Since you can't use a Bag of Sending at Gauntlet to send gold to the bank ... it rarely gets looted from monsters. If you must buy from the evil Nix ... scoop the gold from the dead stuff and save yourself a lil money.

In that same hallway on the west side about half-way down is a lovely little "Healer" room. These guys are amazing. They'll rez you, but they'll also take a nice chunk of change from your bank account for the service (I believe it's 5k --- I don't really pay attention, I just click and pay the Gold). So definitely try to get a rez from someone in your party.

Ok ... the Rooms ...... to the best of my limited knowledge:

Room 1 -- Darknight Creepers --- if you get poisoned by these, pray for mercy, then ask for a rez ---- Slayer: Undead

Room 2 -- Flesh Renderers (aka Super-Fast Squishy Bugs) --- When these start chasing you, you won't have time to pray for mercy or anything else --- Yell out your character name in Ventrillo (yes ... your character name ... because it's really hard to target a person named "help, it's on me") and a wonderful saviour will hopefully cast an invis on you & save your life --- watch for the dismount & paralyze attacks ... Slayer: Well I don't think you'd call it a slayer, but a 100% cold or fire weapon seems to be the item of choice for this room.

Room 3 -- Impalers --- Call me crazy, but I think these are kinda cute : ), except for the Bleed Attack ... Slayer: Demon

Room 4 -- Shadow Knights --- These drive me crazy (which is probably why I think the impalers are cute) --- They stealth around and poof just when you don't want them to, and show up somewhere else ---- Slayer: Undead

Room 5 --- sighs ... The Abysmal Horrors --- I rarely get out of this room without a death --- They throw things at you, including revenants --- If they're chasing you ... go back to the "pray for mercy" plan --- Again, if there's a revenant on you, yell out your character name & beg for help in ventrillo ... "he's on me" isn't going to keep you alive ---- Slayer: Demon

And the ever popular .... Dark Father. Slayer: Demon ... These spawn in the center room after the other 5 rooms are completed.

Important point: Fight ONE DarkFather, yes ONE ... not two ... but ONE at a time. Let me rephrase ... ONE at a time is more than enough : ) At our events, the plan is to leave room 5 and run north up the hallway away from the DFs without getting their attention. A couple brave souls will be appoitned to lure the DF north up the hallway toward our group.

If you should die while fighting DF ... it helps if you step back from the DF & his spawn before rez'ing. Makes it easier for you and your rezzer to stay alive. Heal Heal Heal before you go back into the fray (not sure why so many people omit that step, but I see it often).

Watch out for the Lich Lords ... they're evil and ugly, and in a very bad mood (I think because they only have Gauntlet monsters for company). I like to give highly technical advice for fighting the Lich Lords .... and I follow it to the letter .... R .. U ... N ... and yell "EEK a lich lord". But then, I'm a wimp. You may decide to be brave and choose a different plan for yourself ... but don't say I didn't warn you.

If you're new to the Gauntlet, or not highly skilled .... try to let someone in the Guild know so they can pass the word in Ventrillo (if you can't do so yourself). It's nice when your health bar is on the desktop of all the healers that go with the group to Doom. It can be a lot of fun when they're all casting and helping you stay alive, and a lot less entertaining if they don't have your bar, & all you end up getting is a rez. This can also be a huge help if you notice you're taking a lot of damage. If you're a dexer, try to connect with someone who can help with cross-healing. They just might become your new best friend. Don't hesitate to ask for the extra help. That's why we all go there together : )

I think I'll avoid the whole Arty discussion ... I'm no expert on what it takes to magically have one drop in your pack. I only know that it can happen, and that any of the bosses could drop one (not just the DF).

There are lots of other things to know & learn about Doom Gauntlet ... and this certainly isn't all there is. Mostly just a quick rundown of the rooms ... & the things that will try to run you down.

I hope you'll find it just a tiny bit helpful.
kyra

Postby kyra » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:35 am

And yes ... this was all I could find to do at 5 this morning ... sleep is highly over-rated (at least that's what I'm telling myself).
kyra

Postby Sir William » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:43 am

kyra wrote: sleep is highly over-rated (at least that's what I'm telling myself).

:P
Sir William
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tevvin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:26 pm

you forgot the " don't shoot Tevvin in liche form please " :D
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
Tevvin
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 1
Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1)

Postby kyra » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:37 pm

Tevvin wrote:you forgot the " don't shoot Tevvin in liche form please " :D

I had the thought about adding a whole paragraph regarding Tevvin's odd relatives and friends, but decided that was deserving of a thread of it's own someday : )
kyra

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:00 pm

Tevvin wrote:you forgot the " don't shoot Tevvin in liche form please " :D

True....poor Tevvin tends to get targeted at least once or twice....LOL...so make sure that the liche you attack in not your friendly neighborhood necro...LOL
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Postby Tracy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:28 pm

DF's are necros, and I target them...unless I'm blood oathed.

Blood oath kills many an archer in the gauntlet. If you pay attention to the lower left corner of your screen as you fight, when it says "You have been hit with a blood oath" or whatever it says, TAB OUT and save your neck.

When you're hitting a DF for 150+ hp, that's a one hit kill on yourself.

Another thing, Nix the Variety Dealer also buys stuff from you. 8th Circle scrolls sell for a pretty penny there, so stone for stone weigh less than carrying gold. Grab them if you see them on a DF corpse, so if you need some gold to buy more aids, regs, arrows, bolts, healing potions, or whatever, you can just sell back the scrolls and use that gold to buy your supplies.

Arties drop in all of the rooms, not just on the DFs. DFs just have a higher chance of dropping them.

Some things that increase your chances of getting an arty:
Be the first to hit the monster
Do the most damage
Be the last to hit the monster (meaning get the kill shot). Spellweavers usually do this with word of death.

If you do all three of those things, you have like a 1% chance of getting an arty in the rooms and a 2% chance from the DFs. Doing the second most damage or sixteenth doesn't make any difference, nor does it preclude you from getting an arty. If there are more than 16 people damaging the monster, only the top 16 get a chance at an arty.

If there are two parties of 10 and a single person not in a party all damaging the same monster, the parties are treated as a single person, so they have a higher chance of dealing the "most damage" (as a group), and thus an arty being bestowed upon "them" (meaning one person at random within the party who did any amount of damage could get an arty). This basically means if you go to the gauntlet and other people are in a party, get in a party yourself, or your chances of getting an arty are much less than everyone else.

The good news:
If you show up when the monster is half dead, throw a few flamestrikes on him or whatever and do just enough damage to get looting rights, you still have a chance of getting an arty, so healers make sure you throw a few offensive spells now and then. It may not be a big chance, but its a chance nonetheless.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby kyra » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:34 pm

Malachai wrote:DF's are necros, and I target them...

*whispers* ... psst .. Jr. we all target DF ... he's the enemy ... see page 227 of the handbook : )
kyra

Postby Tracy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:39 pm

Lars Ulrich wrote:make sure that the liche you attack in not your friendly neighborhood necro...LOL

I was referring to the "friendly neighborhood necro" statement...I don't really consider a DF a "friendly neighborhood necro", although he is a necro.

:roll:
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:14 am

Ok....I wanna know how these archers are doing 150 per shot....the most I have done with my archer in one shot to a DF was about 100-105.....I am using a night reaper because it is the only demon slayer bow I have....if anyone has something that is better and is willing to sell please let me know...I love going to gauntlet and I don't really care if I get an artie or not but I wouldn't mind hitting the stuff a little harder
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Postby Karn » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:38 am

There are a few ways to increase damage, I'll just list em all, and I could miss some and have some wrong.

Armor Ignore special
Enemy of One Chiv spell
Perfection, a bushido ability used with Lightning Strike spell
Slayer of course
Someone casts Corpse Skin on him, and the archer has a very high fire damage weapon.
Evil Omen spell cast on the DF, and the Archer hits for more damage.
Mortal Strike????
The double Super Slayer bow, very rare. Made back when (2.5 years?) on a Juka bow. Does 4x damage.

Back in the day I personally did over 200 damage a pop on the DF with my double slayer bow (Demon/Snow Ele slayer) and EOO. Don't know if it does as good with the new 300% total Damage Increase limitation. I personally don't use it anymore due to the Blood Oath spell he casts. I use a slayer and EOO, doing about 85-95 damage a hit. I'll be taking him to the Gaunt next time, we'll see how it does, I'll take that bow and test it (and die).
Karn
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1)

Postby Tracy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:51 pm

Enemy of one and keep doing consecrate weapon.

Consecrate weapon makes your weapon temporarily 100% elemental damage in the element your opponent is weakest to.

So no you don't have to have a high fire damage slayer weapon, just a slayer weapon with damage increase on it.

Cast enemy of one every once in a while and use consecrate weapon often. You don't even need a fancy double slayer. And if someone corpse skins him, all the better.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Return to General Discussion