Good Job KD

Talk about anything that's clean.

Good Job KD

Postby xare » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:17 am

There's a new book out, Braving Britannia: Adventure in Ultima Online. Book is a collection of stories from players, etc. Here's an excerpt I read last night that I think perfectly sums up what PAS is. I can't help but laugh at this time. Fairly sure I've heard KD tell this story, but its interesting to hear it from the other side.

Some quick context - Albano was a Seer back in the day. This was probably 98-99 if I had to guess at a time frame. Definitely before Tram.

Read on all!

Albano specifically recalled a time on Sonoma where a player threw a giant, unforgiving wrench into a story’s gears. Prior to launching the quest, word had spread through rumors, whispers, and town criers about an evil leader who was quietly building an army. For this particular adventure, Albano played as “Frederick,” a strong warrior and personal guard to the Vizier of the city NuJel’m.

As a main character in the quest, it was Albano’s responsibility to recruit powerful players and guilds that could go head-to-head with the evil lord and defeat him before he got his evil hands on whatever evil item he needed to accomplish his evil mission. One group on Albano’s list of potential recruits was the People’s Army of Sonoma (also known as “PAS”). The guild had a reputation for patrolling major roads and dungeons for PKs, supplying protection to weaker players. “I travelled to their keep and met with their leader, King David,” Albano said. “As Frederick I explained the dire nature of the situation, and explained how his men would be an enormous asset in this mission to save Britannia from a great evil.”

Prepared to lead PAS’s greatest warriors into battle against the evil lord, Albano was caught off guard at the guild leader’s response. “King David declined,” Albano said. “David said that his men fight the real evil of the land, that they take arms against the murderers and thieves that rob the innocent, murder the unarmed, and use creative magic to rob houses of hard-earned belongings.” King David went on to tell Albano that if he truly wanted to aid the citizens of Britannia and protect the land, then he should ignore the evil looming over the world and travel with him and his men to patrol the camps. “King David told me that a choice otherwise would only be pursuit of grandeur, offering no real aid to those that truly need it,” Albano explained. “He remained in character the entire time, as did the guards that were in the room.

I thanked him for his perspective, explaining that while dismayed by his decision, I understood his reasons.” Despite the surprising setback, Albano went on to recruit a motley crew of warriors and mages that were able to defeat the evil lord, blessing the citizens of Britannia with another sunrise. “The evil villain was thwarted, the poison dagger contained, and the day was saved…from an evil that never really existed,” Albano laughed.

Locher, Wes. Braving Britannia: Tales of Life, Love, and Adventure in Ultima Online (Kindle Locations 1884-1903). Kindle Edition.
"I had it all! I had it all and then I lost it. Lost... all gone... like... my mind. My mind is like... cheese. I like cheese."

"I'm not a bad influence, I'm an enabler."
xare
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 3
Bela Lugosi Medal of Valor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Re: Good Job KD

Postby Lord Drakelord » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:32 am

you have to buy that book KD, maybe someday get the Arthur to sign
Lord Drakelord
Master of the Blades
Master of the Blades

Medals: 5
Bela Lugosi Medal of Valor (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) People’s Medal of Virtues (1)

Re: Good Job KD

Postby KDSonoma » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:58 am

very cool :)

KD
KD

PAS Rocks Sonoma!
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Return to General Discussion