For all you Valentine's Day Bacon lovers!

Talk about anything that's clean.

For all you Valentine's Day Bacon lovers!

Postby Tracy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:38 am

I was reading the Five on Friday and there's actually an explanation...

Wilki, UO Dev wrote:"Ok, I give up... what's with the Bacon? "
Wilki, Master of Meat Products, fielded this one:

"Ok, the truth about Valentine’s Day Bacon! You’ve probably heard all kinds of rumors about why bacon was included in the Valentine’s Day gift basket. Was it because the ancient Romans used to whack each other with strips of meat to show their "love" for each other? Or perhaps a developer is a big fan of the actor Kevin Bacon? Or, could it be based on some obscure cartoon series? Were the devs just being naughty?

Not quite...

What actually happened is a lot less meaningful than any of the rumors. Inside UO, we use two separate number systems for creating items, depending on the type of item we want to make. When I was busy writing the script for Valentine’s Day, I forgot to change which number system I was using, and guess what? The number for a "slice of bacon" in one system just happens to be the same as the number for "a rose in a vase" in the other system.

So, when I loaded up my script on a test center, instead of finding a rose in a vase, I ended up with a slice of bacon in my basket. Mmmm, bacon! I laughed out loud because it was just so... random! Bacon on Valentine’s Day?!!

When I told some of the other devs what I had done, the jokes started flying around. We decided we just had to leave it in, and thus a Britannian tradition was born!"
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Return to General Discussion