Is this considered a "hack/exploit"?

Talk about anything that's clean.

Is this considered a "hack/exploit"?

Postby Sir William » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:58 am

I was playing around the other day and i did some modifying to some numbers in my BIOS. Needless to say I now need to run 32°F air thru to keep my system at 50°C......but the outcome is instant sart up and ummm well a really really fast windows :twisted: Now I haven't tried UO yet with this set up but I have a feeling it will change the way the game plays, I'm thinking similar to a speed hack. I played pinball and the freaking ball was moving so fast I could not see it :P So I have a feeling it is going to affect UO.

My processor is only running at 110% so nothing big there but I changed some other things around to get my speed :twisted: But because this is not a 3rd party program it is not considered a speed hack, is it?
Sir William
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Rex » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:13 am

I believe a hack/exploit is considered using an un approved 3rd party program or something that interrupts the data stream, you will be doing neither so GAME ON!
Rex
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tevvin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:42 am

Nope, that sounds more like like over-clocking, nothing wrong with that.

However, be warned, if you turned up processer or bus speed, you can possibly damage your computer.
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
Tevvin
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 1
Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1)

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:53 am

Actually Rex, while you are correct about one of the aspects of hacks and cheats I am pretty sure that amping your processor would count as the same thing...I remember reading something about it a while ago...Basically a hack or CHEAT is considered ANYTHING that gives you an unfair advantage and anything that makes you faster or stronger than the game allows...
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Postby Tracy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:54 am

And make sure your motherboard is set up to support a processor with the speed you're overclocked to.

For example, if I'm running a motherboard that supports a 4.8 gig processor, and I am running a 4.4 gig processor, and I overclock to 5 gigs, it doesn't matter if I keep it cool or not, I still run the risk of blowing my motherboard.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Sir William » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:05 pm

ya thats why I can only run up to 110% is because thats all my motherboard can take :( It gets stupid when I try and go over 110% :P "File not found. Please repair windows" :lol: Teach me to go with a cheap board :P
Sir William
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Sir William » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:29 pm

O no look what I found :twisted: RAM clocking here I come :P
Sir William
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Rex » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:36 pm

Lars Ulrich wrote:Actually Rex, while you are correct about one of the aspects of hacks and cheats I am pretty sure that amping your processor would count as the same thing...I remember reading something about it a while ago...Basically a hack or CHEAT is considered ANYTHING that gives you an unfair advantage and anything that makes you faster or stronger than the game allows...

I disagree, overclocking is not some secret, you can learn step by step how to do it online -- ANYONE/EVERYONE can overclock if they choose to, it's not like only members of some secret sect can do it, if you choose not to, then that's your choice.
Rex
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:43 pm

Overclocking is the cheap(er) way to have a better computer. It doesn't interfere with UO really.

If you have a Pentium 4 - 4.4 GH processor and overclock it to 4.8, and I have an AMD athlon 4800+ processor, it's the same thing...except mine's better because it's AMD. :P
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Sir William » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:12 pm

AMD rocks but damn they get hot..I went with AMD because no one else likes em lol....turns out they perform alot better. I had a 1.1 that I ran at 2.0 for a long time till I upgraded to my 2.2 that I'm running at 2.488. I could Probably crank it up to 4 if I had the motherboard to support it. Anyone ever done any RAM clocking? I'm just reading up on it now so I don't know too much about it other than its the same concept.
Sir William
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby KDSonoma » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:01 pm

not sure, but my gut feeling is this wont affect your UO play as much as u might think.

Its all about bottlenecks, and whether u overclock a processor, or buy a faster computer ... the biggest problem is the bottleneck at your cable modem thru the cable.

For example, I just upgraded my switch here to gigabit, from 10/100 ... theoretical aside, reality says I prob got 40 input before and will get 400 now ... between my computers, since they go thru the switch to each other.

But ... then I dont have a gigabit router, and even if I did, the cable has a theoretical thruput of 38 .... mine does 6 DL, 2 upload, which is very fast compared to most cable tests.

So Im flying around at 400 from my computer to the cable modem, then POOF Im at 2 uploading and 6 downloading, and thats my bottleneck.

Realize too that performing tasks faster on your client WILL make your game play faster, but again, once you get the processor past about 3.2 megaherz (AMD, not the crummy Intel which performs about 1/2 of the advertised megaherz), with topped out ram, you prob wont see any diff in gameplay.

If you do I would be surprised and would love to see what kinda thruput u have on your isp, cause everything Ive tested and run here proves the bottleneck is in the cable modem (that surprised me when I learned that).

And lastly overclocking isnt illegal, its like Jr said, its like upgrading your computer.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Sir William » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:27 am

ummmm.....hehe........ooops.......motherboard go POOF!!! :roll: Damit I know I should not have done that :P Now my computer room smells funny :lol:
Sir William
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Rex » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:37 am

Sir William wrote:ummmm.....hehe........ooops.......motherboard go POOF!!! :roll: Damit I know I should not have done that :P Now my computer room smells funny :lol:

Ahahahaha, you retard. :P
Rex
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:04 am

that sux...

Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Malachai wrote:And make sure your motherboard is set up to support a processor with the speed you're overclocked to.

For example, if I'm running a motherboard that supports a 4.8 gig processor, and I am running a 4.4 gig processor, and I overclock to 5 gigs, it doesn't matter if I keep it cool or not, I still run the risk of blowing my motherboard.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Postby Rex » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:06 am

I PvP naked, is that a hack? It makes me hit my keeps faster since I don't have clothes obstructing me, cool huh?

I kid....I kid
Rex
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Next

Return to General Discussion