Why did I start PAS and why did I choose that name?

Talk about anything that's clean.

Why did I start PAS and why did I choose that name?

Postby KDSonoma » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:06 pm

I recently was talking with another person ingame who has been in PAS a few years, and we talked about a number of things like tram being born, etc etc.

One of the things he asked me was why did I start PAS and why did I choose that name for the guild.

Since I have been asked these questions so often I wanted to post the reasons here.

When UO was new, I played UO with 4 RL friends nightly. We had a blast, but never felt the need to form a guild. I wasn't roleplaying, but I did have a char named KingDavid, because that was my RL nickname among pretty much all of my RL friends.

My friends and I played UO in beta (I was lucky to get chosen to be a beta tester, and they came to my house to play it along with me). We all started on Great Lakes, if I recalled, but as happened back then, most of the reds macrod overnight illegally, and we just played the game, so their skills were always ahead of ours.

We then jumped to Nappa Valley when that shard opened, figuring we now knew how to gain skills faster, and could keep up with the new reds on that shard (WRONG hehe).

So then when Sonoma opened, we all came here and played solo. After about 2 weeks, they all quit over the rampant red situation, so I was left on my own.

I was talking with them after they left, and I quit UO for a week, but then realized that I was giving in to the reds.

One of my friends recommended starting a guild, and trying to roleplay a character.

Well, I had KingDavid already, so I came back, and decided to form a guild to see if I could get others like me together to fight the reds.

I thought about the name for awhile, and I thought about what sort of guild I wanted to have, other than just getting blues together to help me fight reds.

I had noticed that in MOST guilds, there was an elitist formation. You had to know someone to get in the guild, and if they had ranks, the ones who brown-nosed the gm the most got the promotions.

So I decided that I wanted a guild where anyone could join, except for griefers. It hit me ... if I was the King of the shard, then I would have an army to lead. Plus, an army required all types of folks to make it function. Tailors, blacksmiths, mages, archers, melee folks, etc.

That really appealed to me, because I remember hearing folks try to get into guilds ingame, and they would talk about how many gm skills they had, how good a fighter they were, etc.

Then I sat down in about 20 minutes and wrote the fiction of the KD story.

I decided on the People's Army of Sonoma, because then we would seek out everyone except griefers to join us.

We would be a guild that would not be elitist. The first group of PAS helped me come up with the ranks (they did most of the work), and then I decided that the highest ranking PAS members (Elders) would be the ones that voted for promotions, not the gm.

Of course we had to start with Elders in order to get them the power to vote, so I chose Blackstaff and DeGuy as our first Elders, and they took it from there.

So what was unique about PAS:

We would do pvp and pvm events, not just one type of event.
We would protect the people by fighting criminals (reds).
Anyone except griefers could join PAS (craftsmen included, and we had several that only wanted to be craftsmen in UO).
Brown-nosing the gm got people nowhere as Elders voted on promotions.
We were a home for solo blues frustrated with fighting reds on their own.

And the rest is history. Our players made PAS what we were each year, and continue to this day to define what PAS is. We were the largest guild in Sonoma for all but the first 5 months or so of our existence.

And to this day, my RL daughters, the Princesses Katie and Kelli ingame, both are mad when I say "PAS" as one word (like "pass"). They always correct me, "Dad, its P-A-S!".

And I always reply that I can call it what I want, when I want, cause it was my baby :)

OK stopping another long post. My eternal thanks for every single person that has made us what we are (and that number tallies about 6,000 now).

All of you, past, present, and future PAS ROCK Sonoma!

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby VioletJo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:32 am

KD.. Thank you so much for the story of how PAS started... I really enjoyed it.
and Thank you for staying on so the rest of us could enjoy our wonderful guild that I am so proud to be part of.
PAS does Rock!
I hope we all continue to make you proud.
VioletJo
PAS First Lady
PAS First Lady

Medals: 3
Seth Medal of Compassion (1) People’s Medal of Virtues (1) Medal of Ariel Joy (1)

Postby Maldar » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 pm

I agree with Violet...thank you for posting that, KD. It was interesting to know our roots.
Maldar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 3
One Eyed Jack's Stand of Cour (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:35 pm

I still am amazed at how many absolutely awesome people we have had come through PAS over these many years.

And just when I think we finally got the last awesome person into PAS or the alliance, we find more!

:)

Keep em coming guys!

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Sagan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Glad I was able to be a part of the Family!
Sagan
Grand Admiral of the People's Navy
Grand Admiral of the People's Navy

Postby KDSonoma » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:44 pm

absolutely, Sagan!

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Kinsen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:52 am

Awesome story. I used to never be a team player kind of guy, and I still don't come to as many events as I would like to, but I've made friends with so many PAS members. I'm REALLY glad I joined. I have invited another friend to join, and just a couple days ago I asked another friend to start playing. I will definitely make sure he joins PAS too. I love PAS. It's a lot of fun, and more importantly a lot of great people.
Kinsen
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Ghost » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:10 pm

than came those pesky IAS people, causing trouble
Ghost
PAS WebMaster
PAS WebMaster

Medals: 2
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1)
Discord ID#: Ghost_TTT#7498

Postby KDSonoma » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:19 am

GHOST ALERT!

Hey Ghost hows RL treating you? Where are u and what are u doing these days?

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Ghost » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:15 pm

doing good, try log into UO but had outdated.... so right now download client just to see whats change...

and work is work down here in San Antonio
Ghost
PAS WebMaster
PAS WebMaster

Medals: 2
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1)
Discord ID#: Ghost_TTT#7498

Postby KDSonoma » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:17 pm

yeah if u hadnt logged on in a good while, that patch will be pretty big for both clients.

And yep I hear that too Ghost, work is work. What sort of work are u doing these days?

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Matthias » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:44 pm

PAS has been awesome. I'm brand new and everyone I have met has been really nice. I'm very excited to learn the game and get to know everyone!
Matthias
Wanderer
Wanderer

Postby SlimShadyPAS » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:46 pm

"Then I sat down in about 20 minutes and wrote the fiction of the KD story."

FICTION?!?!??!!! psssht KD is being modest =) thats because he wooped Chuck Norris in staring contest and beat down a fairy named Tinkerbell =) PKK all day.. if they are red then they will be dead from the PAS army that King David once lead. Hail to the KING of Sonoma!
SlimShadyPAS
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby KDSonoma » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:10 pm

SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

hows it going Slim? And how is Bubbles doing these days?

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Thanks KD

Postby Red Beard » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:49 pm

I thank thee.. My first experience meeting PAS was at the Brit Bank. I was in a guild called KTL and our nubers were pereling close to zero. At one time KTL was a guild with a lot of people in it and we did nightly quests. I had just returned from a log deployment overseas, I think Bush Sr. was president at the time. I logged in and over a period of a few weeks I found that most of all my KTL guild mates were not around. One day I decided to spend some time at the Brit Bank to see if I could find any of my old comrades. As I'm standing amoungst the mass spammers selling things at the Brit Bank along comes this caravan of warriors organized in a millitary fashion circling the Brit bank and as I look I see people flocking around them like segull at the beach looking for a patato chip... Then I notice that they are dropping piles of gold on the ground and Chanting differnet things, I think I remember some one saying " All Hail KingDavid - King of Sonoma - All Hail the Peopl's Army of Sonoma" or something like that.. over a period of weeks I notice this caravan on a regular basis doing these organized Campain's at the Brit Bank dropping gold and chanting praise.. One day I also noticed one of my old collegues from KTL in their ranks.. McDuff was one of them!!! wow .. I was overcome with excitement.. My friend McDuff was still around for me to exchange stories with!!! Now raceing through my mind I scurreid a way to find them. A week or two later I finally made contact with someone from the guild and the rest is history!!!
Red Beard
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Next

Return to General Discussion