HEHE Dead Dupers

Talk about anything that's clean.

HEHE Dead Dupers

Postby Sir William » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:43 pm

More Than 400 Dupers Banned, Tens of Thousands of Items Deleted
After a month-long investigation and a thorough review of all involved, we:

• banned more than 400 accounts,
• deleted more than 100,000 illegally duplicated items, and
• deleted more than one trillion in gold.

More importantly, the bugs that allowed this particular kind of illegal duplication have been fixed. Also, duping and exploit prevention/detection systems have been in place for some time now - systems that help us to identify and eliminate cheaters.

We take all forms of cheating extremely seriously, especially cheats that affect the in game economy and devalue the hard work of honest players. We will never stop investigating and solving these issues, and appreciate very much those of you who contribute to the fight against cheating. We’ve had to keep these developments quiet until we completed our investigations, but we are very proud to be able to make this announcement today.

See I was right they were investigating but would not say anything untill they figued out how to fix the problem. You can rest easier tonight PC. Well mabey (more dupers will come and it will start all over again)
Sir William
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby xare » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:07 pm

Reason people do things like this. They can get away with it.

I doubt that every single item and gold piece due to this was deleted. Just too big of a scale. How many of those 400 accounts where on 30 day trial periods? Makes me wonder. How many accounts did someone run through to filter stuff before EA would say, "That's a different owner" and not delete it?

Just throwing things out there from my pessimistic view tonight.
xare
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 3
Bela Lugosi Medal of Valor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Sir William » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:57 am

hmmm...good point but it still gives us hope.....Besides I think I remember reading somewere that they not only ban the account but they ban the credit card and the IP address. I'm not at home otherwise I would research this.....besides if people keep getting banned eventually the buisness people doing the dupeing willl say heck with it this is too much work and too little money....I know of 2 people that used to sell stuff on e-bay, they said they were not selling anymore on ebay due to the fact that they could make more money on other online games.......yes I'm sure you will still have your little Tiawan sweat shops but eventually they will figure out someway to ban those people permanetly....I have no clue how they would do that....... but I'm certain that this duping is hurting thier buisness otherwise they would not be doing the banning, and if it is hurting thier buisness then you can bet that they are doing something about it.

my two cents to your "pessimistic view" :P
Sir William
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby PrinceCaspian » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:36 am

xare wrote: How many of those 400 accounts where on 30 day trial periods?

Precisely. Any duper who has any sense whatsoever does the nefarious activities on a dummy account and not his main.

Call me the eternal pessimist (especially since I was complaining about this very issue just hours ago) but this smells weird. I think the bigger story is that they are dropping PunkBuster, after all that bruhaha over how that was the salvation against cheaters. I think they simply went on a quick witchhunt for the dumbest and most obvious dupers to make up for this bombshell.

But I won't complain ALL the time -- I DID notice a lot of vendors missing around Luna yesterday, which was GOOD news.
PrinceCaspian
PAS Templar
PAS Templar

Postby Sir William » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:52 am

ROFLMAO....thats the first thing I did when the servers came up was run around Luna to see how many vendors dissappeared. :lol:
Sir William
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby wild flower » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:28 pm

I would have thought that the vendors would stay longer -- especially if they were renting and the contract was still good
:flat:
wild flower
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Return to General Discussion