Meditation Skill!

Ask Dara questions about UO. Whether its IDing a rare, or how something works, or doesnt work, ask Dara! He knows EVERYTHING (Almost)!

Moderator: xare

Meditation Skill!

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:00 am

Ok, here is the situation...If my char has 110 meditation skill then that means he has 11 passive mana regen correct?....my question is that if the char is not wearing all medable armor does it negate the passive mana regen?...or does it just make it so that I can't actively meditate and gain the mana back at an even higher rate?....and does anyone know if the hunter's headress is medable?...I guess i could take everything off and find out for myself...LOL....oh year one more question....when you actively meditate with say 110 meditation does that mean that you are regenerating mana at 22 mana regen or a different level?

*Wonders who will answer this post first....Bets on Jr!...hehe*
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Postby DevilSpawn » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:28 pm

If you have one piece of non-meddable armor on, it totally negates any gain you might have gotten from meditation.

The hunter's headdress is meddable.

If you have 110 med, before the new mana regen patch you would gain 11 mana regen from that. Because there are now diminishing returns on mana regen, you gain some amount of mana less than 11 MR from 110 med. It still helps a lot. Its probably like having 9 MR instead of 11. There is a website that someone sent me a link to that calculates it for you. Maybe someone else could post that.

If you actively meditate, it doubles the mana regen gained.. I believe it only doubles what you gain from meditation skill. So assuming pre-diminishing returns patch for simplicity, if you had 110 med, 8 mana regen on your armor... then You'd get 22 MR from meditation while actively meditating but only receive 8 from your armor even while actively medding. I assume that after the diminishing returns patch, you'll get even less mana regen from active meditation.... so it'd probably be like 110 med gives you 9 MR normally, actively medding will give you 15ish. I'm guessing on the numbers because I don't have the equation in front of me.

Maybe Jr will post it : p
DevilSpawn
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 3
Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Tracy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:01 pm

Don't know the equation, but you're wrong about one thing.

Having non med armor with mana regen would be completely useless if you were right.
What would be the point of a helm of insight?

So non med armor doesn't negate mana regen. It also doesn't negate passive meditation. The only thing it does is keep you from actively meditating. If you never actively meditate, then broaden your horizons for your suit and use non med as well.

If you ever think you may use active meditation, then you have to have all non-med, or else you have to drop your non med armor to meditate.

On the other hand, you were right about the meditation doubling. If you have mana regen and meditation, and you actively meditate, the only thing that doubles is your regen rate from the meditation skill.

And forget about all the diminishing returns crap. 15 mana regen is still better than 14, which is better than 11. The more the better. Obviously sacrificing resists massively to go from 11 to 12 mana regen is a bad idea, but it's always been a bad idea.

And you're right Damien, I posted.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:41 pm

Thank you guys...I have been wondering about this for a while...
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby DevilSpawn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:57 am

I don't know how to quote people....
Jr said, "So non med armor doesn't negate mana regen. It also doesn't negate passive meditation. The only thing it does is keep you from actively meditating. If you never actively meditate, then broaden your horizons for your suit and use non med as well. "

I didn't say it negated mana regen. I said it negated mana regen from meditation. The helm of insight still allows mana regen from armor, from intelligence, from focus, from lich form. It however would completely prevent you from gaining mana from the meditation skill, either active or passive.

I just tested it. Non-med armor prevents mana regen gained from meditation, but allows mana regen to continue as normal from other sourses.
DevilSpawn
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:24 am

Ok...then I need to find me a good gorget to replace the jackals collar and some leggings to replace my leggings of bane....I am not in game right now so not sure if leggings have mage armor or not....if not then of course they will need to be replaced...hehe...
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby DevilSpawn » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:45 am

Yea, you don't need those pieces to swing at cap with decent weapons or achieve max hit chance with jewelry/items that don't suck. good luck with it though.
DevilSpawn
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Return to Ask Dara