Samurai/Paladin/Spellweaver

Ask Dara questions about UO. Whether its IDing a rare, or how something works, or doesnt work, ask Dara! He knows EVERYTHING (Almost)!

Moderator: xare

Samurai/Paladin/Spellweaver

Postby AshOfCaine » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:46 pm

While I love healing with bandages, I was trying to find a way to fit Spellweaver on a template, then started thinking about missing out on bushido/parry (my samurai is an archer). So, born is this template:

Spellweaving 100 (only 65% at WoD but running out of skill points)
Tactics 100
Swords 120
Parry 120
Bushido 120
Chiv 95+ (need 105 to spam holy light can equip luna lance for that)
Magic Resists 100

In addition could use +skill equipment for necro to go to wraith form for when spamming holy/light etc.

Going to need some good +skill jewelry and LMC/MR suit. But things I like 3 methods to heal chiv/bushido/renewal, max chance to parry, gift of life, can allure artic ogre lord or just spam nature's fury, I love combo of EoO/Cw/Honor/Lightning Strike, can parry with one handed weapon leaving one free for potions, fighting MoBs would be easy with holy light spam and Momentum Strike.

Should be great for gathering keys for peerless, would suck against main boss though, at best a sucky support character with casting renewal on pets and throwing bugs.

For champ spawns should be good for clearing spawn and doing high damage against boss.

Well, almost got my paladin built up to 110 skill range, just can't decide if i should drop anatomy and healing for bushido and spellweaving.
AshOfCaine
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
Orkk Medal of Humility (1)

Postby Tracy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:16 am

Drop chiv to 75 and take resist up to 120, or as close as you can afford a scroll for.

Carry an insured ring and bracelet each with +10 or more chiv. You won't need to holy light often, just on the first two levels of spawn (after that it isn't nearly as effective), so use those skill points elsewhere. Then when the time comes to holy light spam, switch jewelry and put on your luna lance and have at it.

At 75, you fail now and then at EOO, and very rarely at divine fury. The strength of your close wounds spell and your cleanse by fire spell are both determined by your karma, as is remove curse and most of the other chiv spells, so just have high karma and you have no drawbacks from going this way.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:28 am

you know I was trying to think of a way to get bushido back on my temp and was toying with the idea of dropping anat and healing then i could pick up resist and bushido again...don't know tho
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Postby AshOfCaine » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:06 pm

Malachai, yeah, I can see leaving +skill chiv jewelry in the pack till need to spam holy light, already found some with some FC and FCR. As it is going to need decent +skill equipment anyway to even run with 75 chiv. Since I can't afford any of the 120's and already have 115's, that still leaves minimum +15 skill needed to even run with base of 75 chiv. Since can't afford a mark of travesty either, probably going to go with Aegis of Grace for the +10 resist and 20% defense, and maybe a resilient bracer for another +15 skill and 10% defense. Unless I can find a better bracelet with DCI and LMC +to any skill.

I took the 100 resist for a test drive, noticed far less mana vamp from the succubus, but went ahead and put a 115 scroll on the char to take it on up. Especially since I found out how easy it is to raise. I think read it here but can't find it now, where someone suggested going to New Haven and getting Spectre Spellbinders to cast on you. I took a bow with no arrows so I wouldn't accidentally kill them and got 15 following me around. Only took a couple hours to go from 65 to 100. Ninja in dog form with virtue armor set and don't even have to worry about healing from their 1-2 pt attacks (which add up when 9 are hitting at once).

Got started on my bushido, went ahead and went into Lich Form to help mana regen while I train bushido and spellweaving. So bored now it isn't even funny.
AshOfCaine
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby AshOfCaine » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:09 pm

Okay, so I learned the mana leech from being Wraith form does NOT apply to holy light damage. So the jewelry I need is getting a little more specific. Going to have to have +skill, FCR, FC, and if possible LMC and DCI.

For time being i put on a ring/bracelet combo that gives me a total of +28 skills 4 FCR, 2 FC, 4% Cold Resist, 4% Poison and 50 Luck. With the Aegis of Graces +10 Resist, 20% DCI, that leaves me having to find the rest of the suit to max LMC and as much MR as possible, while getting 60-70s resist. Time to start farming the gold to fill the wish fund.

I know will need to try and max out the LMC (got 15% currently with a totem can share taking it to 25%), kind of bummed that the wraith form doesn't leech from damage from holy light, that was going to lessen the need for a killer suit. Don't think i want to fully commit the 40 skill points needed for Vamp form, so guess the necro bit is going to be tabled. So need to find out the minimum MR I can run with and still be able to spam holy light.
AshOfCaine
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:56 pm

Try wither instead?
Yeah, since necro and pally is supposedly opposed, game design dictates that one won't compliment the other. So if you want both skills, you're gonna have to work at it.

Sorry to hear that you can't leech from holy light though.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby AshOfCaine » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:19 pm

won't be trying wither on the template, would completely have to change the template to add enough necro and spirit speak to make it work. I will get out my necro mage just to see if it will leech mana with wither while in wraith.

That portion of this template was only meant as an add on bonus, if it doesn't work it doesn't work. The suit will just have to make up for mana regen.

Just looking at the spellweaving, wondering if it would leech back from casting Essence of Wind, but my Spellweaving on that char is only 30 right now. I may toss my +necro skill items on my mage/spellweaver go into wraith form, re-dress and go out and try. For that matter if it could leech from WoD. Now that would be awesome if it did, with the right equipment I could push the spellweaving to 115 on this template for 98% chance at WoD over the 65% at skill 100. Darn, now I have to find out got to go turn my mage into a wraith.

Edit: Just tried wraith on my mage, still no leech from spell weaving spells or from magery, so far only time I seen it leech is in melee
AshOfCaine
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby AshOfCaine » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:01 am

ok, trying wraith form on my actual necro and it is leeching off wither, but here is the kicker, it is leeching off magery spells too that my mage didn't! Have tried flamestrike, Meteor Swarm, Earth Quake and it is leeching off everyone.

2 differences between my necro and the mage or paladin, 1 after I went into wraith on the 2 non necros, I removed the +skill necro jewelry and the second is spirit speak is on my necro but isn't on the non necro.

I can't easily put my spellweaving on my necro right now, but me beginging to see more possibilities for a necro/mage/spellweaver if can leech back mana from spellweaving like it is doing in everything else, can spam the heck out of WoD! But that is a another template all together. Looking at my current necro I could drop meditation and just stay in Wraith form and leech back the mana, already has the magery/necro. That Necro/Mage/Spellweaver would be along:

Eval 115
Magery 115
Necro 115 (+5 from bloodwood spirit)
Spirit Speak 115 (+10 from bloodwood spirit)
Resisting 115
Spellweaving 115
Meditation 45 (+ any skill from jewelry)

I have some cursed bracers could wear and take meditation back up to 70-80 with jewelry. As I got money or scrolls could drop meditation, assuming the mana leech from wraith pans out. Would have to stone my poisoning to my assasin which i was thinking of anyway so he can poison with parasitic daggers (currently throwing parasitic poison shurikens and loves the health regen :twisted: )

Man I really don't want to work spellweaving up on 2 characters. But if can mana leech a WoD on my Necro I think that is worth the time, then that character is who I would take to peerless bosses. Still think the paladin based for champ spawns, mainly in case of raids I suck PvP as is but far worse on mage characters, at least on my samurai archer I have actually managed to get some justice points.
AshOfCaine
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:15 am

I KNOW it works for magery and necro spells...otherwise what would the point be? heh

Not sure if it's SS related or not. Were you testing it on the same monsters with both templates? Some monsters will give you 0 or 1 mana, even if you do 100 damage (grr dang scorpions), whereas slimes, ratmen, etc will keep you going through that entire spawn even if you have 0 med, 0 mana regen.

If you can't work it into your template, try a different auxiliary spell?
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Postby AshOfCaine » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:28 am

Yeah, in all my test I used the brigand camp outside my house.

hmm, just found this information on a stratics message board:

First Point About Wraith Form: The mana leech is determined by that formula:
Spirit Speak / 5

my paladin is an elf so lacked the jack of all trades for spirit speak, am not sure the mana leech would be enough to even worry about. As it looks like it would be 4% of damage dealt. I will test it on test shard or grab a +skill spirit speak jewelry (already have a spare boodwood spirit) before i switch back to human, but even at 4% leech with a mob of 6 or more at a champ spawn theory says with LMC should be able to leech back more than cost of holy light. I got to try it first, also as a human really wouldn't need any +necro skill to transform just a wraith scroll. As far as my mage, he is human but targeting one instead of a mob the leech could have been so small I didn't notice. But it does look promising for it to work with spellweaving.

Too bad, I like being an elf, night sight, energy resist, larger mana pool, but that Jack of all trades can come in darn handy.
AshOfCaine
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby AshOfCaine » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:22 am

I went back to my paladin, into wraith form, put on Jewelry to get to 22 spirit speak, and yep it made all the difference. I only have on 20% LMC, so Holy light was costing 8 mana points, and with 6-7 brigands attacking me I could spam holy light and mana never dropped 1 point.

So, looks like I will have to transform back to human. Say hello to night sight potions and say good bye to elf armor, larger mana pool and higher energy resist. Unless I can find that magical +10 chiv +10 spirit speak, FCR 2 FC 1 ring or bracelet to go with the bloodwood spirit, then can equip jewelry , luna lance and totem when needing to holy light spam. I see one in luna with DCI instead of FCR/FC, but if going to spam have to have FCR 4/FC 2.

As far as the non-necro mage, base of 20 spirit speak at best would restore half the mana WoD uses. Haven't WoDed much, going on what I hear 300+ damage, is only going to restore about 12 mana, so with 40% LMC cost is 24 with MR and Meditation to do the rest. Wouldn't be endless WoDing but leeching sum is better than nothing. I estimate about 60-65 spirit speak for full leeching of cost of a single WoD with high focus. I actually think I have 75 skill points on my mage i was going to put towards wrestling (105 with jewelry) I could just put those into spirit speak and see how he fairs in peerless boss areas. If nothing else save me from wanting to put Spellweaving on my necro right now. :lol: Much easier to raise spirit speak to 75 than spellweaving to 115.

Now if I use the mage for peerless bosses, just have to decide if I still want to put spellweaving on my paladin for champ spawns. If not could put those 100 skill points else where focus, anatomy or even spirit speak for more mana leech for weapon specials.
AshOfCaine
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:53 pm

Interesting points you bring up.

My current necro mage has the following template:
120 magery
120 eval
120 resist
120 necro
120 SS
60 med
60 focus

The med/focus combo gives me 9 MR and 6 SR...I might think about dropping those altogether in lieu of spellweaving. A spellweaver necro mage would likely not run out of mana anyway, but there are times when you need the regen. Some monsters you just can't leech from, regardless of how much damage you do. Ask any necro who has ever done a rikktor spawn about that.

That is my only apprehension about dropping med/focus for 120 SW (or even 115 or 110). But it might be worth it to switch from fireballs to WOD's on the DF. I couldn't rework my suit to incorporate enough skill points to just drop the focus, so I'm not sure what I need to do to make this happen...so I don't think it will.

I might try it out on test sometime, just to see where the pitfalls lie.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Postby AshOfCaine » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:24 pm

Well, the same post I read the formula for Wraith had info I didn't know about Vampire Form. I don't have it open now but I believe the numbers it quoted were in addition to the life leech it also added 5 MR and 15 SR. If that be the case for your necro if came across something couldn't leech the mana from then you could try Vampire form for regens and see if can leech life instead.

Just tried my necro and appears the regens are surely a part of vampiric embrace couldn't say if the numbers are correct. My base experiment was to load myself down and to zap my stamina then cast to zap my mana and clock the regen in normal and then transform into Vamp and both regens shot way up.

40 stamina in vamp form took about 30 seconds to regen, without vamp took about 2 minutes.
112 Mana in vamp took form took about 60 seconds, without vamp only regen'ed 94 in same time.

Going by formulas for mana regen posted on stratics, I would estimate the vamp form to add 4-5 MR. I didn't see a formula to calculate the SR rate but it was 4x faster in Vamp so that looks like a substantial SR rate.

I don't know if the life leech would work in cases that the mana wasn't, I would guess it would since the only reason I found that mana leech doesn't work is on spawn with low or no mana to begin with. (Can't leech what isn't there)

Anyway, just more food for thought.
AshOfCaine
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:29 am

That's true.

But, I don't care about health so much or specifically leeching something. The important thing to me is mana. So when I get to that "I can't leech mana from this monster" obstacle, I overcome it by going to Lich form (massive MR) and pulling up a wisp familiar. If you have 2 or 3 other necros in your party, stick together. My wisp will add mana to me and you, and your wisp will add mana to me and you. So two people get twice the benefit so long as they are standing near each other.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Postby AshOfCaine » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:07 am

I still haven't taken my necro much past the front door of my house, mainly the lack of any kind of decent suit, plus have to finish raising her magery and get some 115 scrolls, only had 110s so far. When I get her finished I will start playing with the power of the feared necro.

For the meantime, I just put my extra points on my mage/spellweaver into spirit speak so will use equipment (or jack of all trades and scrolls) to switch to necro and with 60 points in Spirit Speak should be far more mana leech will ever need, but leaving meditation on that char as a back up and for regen when dropping EV's and Greater heals. The necro is getting her meditation cut from 110 to 60, but going to leave my poison on there only cause my assasin is an archer not a fencer so might as well leave it for the mage portion of the necro.

Think going to start taking the mage/spellweaver out on events and get the feel for playing a mage char. Should be good in a party for peerless hunts and hopefully Doom. Need better equipment, as the LRC/LMC/MR suit I have has less than 40 resist across the board, my resist from that char comes from Resist Spells side effect. But hey, as long as I don't get hit right. :)
AshOfCaine
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Next

Return to Ask Dara