kill the steed in pvp

Ask Dara questions about UO. Whether its IDing a rare, or how something works, or doesnt work, ask Dara! He knows EVERYTHING (Almost)!

Moderator: xare

kill the steed in pvp

Postby Pure Chaos » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:13 pm

Theme of more posts to come - Im finally going to get into pvp :)

now - this specific question:

At the last MM - one of my estimed guildmates attacked me mounted when I was dismounted. I used my heavy xbow to dismount, and the horse arrived at the party. I decided to try and kill the thing (i have no idea if this was a wise or unwise pvp tactic). I thought it would be an easy kill. Thing was I think I never hit the horse, and after a little while he hopped back on the darn thing.

I know Im not a good pvper, but I am a hella pvmer - why could I not hit this horse?
Pure Chaos
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby DevilSpawn » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:40 pm

sure you attacked it? Horses have like 30 fighting skill, you should hit it easily... and they have some pathetic number of hitpoints... it should die in one shot. I avoided killing people's horses at MM because I figured it was against the rules. If it's not, I'll certainly change my tactics.
DevilSpawn
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 3
Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Pure Chaos » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:58 pm

At this point I guess I cant be sure of anything - I was jittery - I guess there is a chance I wasnt in attack mode and I was dbl clicking on it...

PVP certianly gets the juices flowing.

So it sounds like I should have been able to attack it - I thought maybe it was some special pet, or maybe there was a guild restriction or something.

So maybe I have then 2 questions:
1. would it be better in some way to have a real steed instead of an ethy for pvp (especially one like a horse instead of a hyru or dog)
2. is there a rule in MM about steed killing?
Pure Chaos
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:13 am

Since we hold our MM event in tram then what probably happened is that the horse blue...not green to you...If they do not have their mount guarding them then it will be blue and you will be unable to attack it....on the other hand in fel you would whether it is blue or not....and while it is not a bad idea to kill their mount, most people in fell keep an ethy for just such an occasion....although if they are dumb enough to try and mount an ethy while you are attacking them then they deserve to die...lol
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Postby Pure Chaos » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:59 am

ahhh - yes I think you are right
it did seem blue - but it didnt click why I couldnt attack it.
so in fel that would have worked, except maybe that would make me grey...

Thanks
Pure Chaos
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:26 am

Yes you can kill their mount in fell...if they are blue I am not sure but I think that you will go gray if you attack their mount...but if they are red then so is their mount so you would be fine there...
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby SICK » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:09 am

be very careful and pay attention when attacking mounts the system is still a little buggy. ive seen reds come through a gate and their pet is blue for a few moments before turning red and such so just be observant.
SICK
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Location: Roaming the darker sides of sonoma and the hills of Arkansas

Postby Irwin Hunter » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:26 am

Two things I can think of. Turn off that little message that warns before you attack, if it s blue. If you do not care about that fact. Be sure you are not in town. Rules in Fel change when you are in a town.
Irwin Hunter
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby DevilSpawn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Let's get an answer posted about rules on mount killing at pvp events against guild members... or I'll ICQ KD?

Anyway, having a real mount is definitely better than having an ethy. If you get dismounted off your ethy, you have to be leet to mount again without dieing. If you have a real mount, they might attack it (good) or you might be able to call it and mount it (should have macros for that). You should also probably carry a petball with your mount on it so if you run away from your mount you can bring it to you right away and mount it as soon as you're able to mount again after being dismounted. I don't carry a pet ball anymore and it would have saved me a few times if I had.
DevilSpawn
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 3
Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Tevvin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Killing the mount in MM is fine if the mount is flagged(green). BUT, the mount should only be green on tamer nights when pets are aloud. And anyone bringing a pet, mount or otherwise, to MM knows the risks of it getting killed. Especially if it is set to guard you. Checking your mount is as easy as getting off it to see if the name is green or blue, you should be able to tell the pet all calm and all follow me to get it to go blue, tho it may still take a minute or two.

All that being said, I wouldn't bother killing someone's pet/mount at MM, as it's just friendly combat. At the gate or a spawn, most definately, kill them all. Most of them will not hesitate to kill your mount, and you force them to use thier ethy or have someone res thier pet, which takes time and costs skills on the pet.
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
Tevvin
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1)

Postby Irwin Hunter » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:21 pm

No reason to kill a pet at MM, if that is what is being talked about. But out PvP against other guilds, the pets go nite nite. Makes it so that they cannot run. That makes you easier prey, and you have to get your pet rezed, so time is used
Irwin Hunter
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby KDSonoma » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:45 pm

in MM with pets, the aggressive pets are always a target.

Someone's normal horse who isnt using it offensively? Then thats "bad form" as Captain Hook would say, and not allowed.

Logic prevails there.

On MM without pets, no mounts should ever be targeted for a kill. once again bad form.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Horizon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:56 am

Damien Kilcannon wrote:....although if they are dumb enough to try and mount an ethy while you are attacking them then they deserve to die...lol

This is something new to me, what is the difference and why?
Horizon
Healer
Healer

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:26 pm

you are frozen for a few seconds while trying to mount an ethy...and therefore you are vulnerable....on the other hand a live mount can be mounted quickly unless you have been dismounted then you have to wait a few seconds
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:16 am

Hmmm...
I used to love to use Jr (120 swords, 36ish DCI and 120 parry), get dismounted and stand there and try to remount my ethy, watching the poor archer who dismounted me try and fail 4 times to hit me...
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Return to Ask Dara