Template Question

Ask Dara questions about UO. Whether its IDing a rare, or how something works, or doesnt work, ask Dara! He knows EVERYTHING (Almost)!

Moderator: xare

Template Question

Postby Pagan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:02 pm

is this template worth anything for a nox/fencer?

120 fencing
80 poisoning
100 anatomy
100 healing
100 stealth
100 hiding

and the rest is going into chiv and something else
Pagan
PAS Squire
PAS Squire

Postby Tracy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:20 pm

Very viable PvM template you have there, with some merit in PvP (with a few drawbacks)
A couple recommended changes and explanation to follow:

120 fencing
100 hiding
100 anatomy
90 healing
80 stealth
80 poisoning
80 chiv
50-70 med* (depending on your account age)

Here's why:
If you wear all meddable armor (mage armor or leather) you will not need more than 80 stealth. You may get revealed slightly easier, but you won't fail a stealth check.
If you carry enhanced aids you can go with 90 healing, actually even if you don't 90 should suffice, honestly.
chiv at 80 will give you everything you need except the ability to spam holy light. You will fail at enemy of one maybe once out of 10 times. And if you need to you can noble sacrifice, you might just have to try a couple times.
You will need mana. The meditation will give you enough to keep your infecting ability coming, and leave room for chiv stuff. You will also need stamina. Carry red pots. Don't use focus here, it's a waste of skill points. The stamina regen you get from it won't help much as far as instant stamina gain and you get minimal benefits from it as far as mana goes, and since there are no mana-gaining potions out there, med is your best bet here.

*The reason I say you have some merit in PvP with some drawbacks is that you have little defense other than what your weapon provides you. You will need to carry around infinitely trapped pouches. You will need orange petals. You will need 4/6 casting for your chiv, or you will need to carry around enchanted apples. This template leaves no room for parry or resist without the assistance of massive skill bonus items (either of which would be good to specialize your char for extra protection against either mages or other dexxers).
*You might also try getting a lot of mana regen on your suit and putting those extra 50-70 points into ninjitsu, plus a few ninjitsu skill bonus items. You already plan on having the hiding and stealth, so why not? This would make a dagger fully effective to you and make you a very viable assassin. Shadow strike and Infecting...a dagger's secondary and primary abilities, respectively. With a dagger's swing speed that would allow you to have lower dex (which slows your healing time somewhat, but you can always just hide) but would allow you more hit points or more base mana.

I know for me I'd try to get items to take those your skills up about 30 points higher, follow the template above and put all the extra points in ninjitsu. That would make a nice assassin template, IMHO.

I don't know a LOT about ninjitsu, but I figure at 80 all you'd really be missing out on are some of the higher end forms, you'd still be able to shadow jump/shadow strike/egg bomb, etc.

And you could wear a ninja belt.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Pagan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:57 pm

ok thinking on the template of

120 fencing
100 hiding
100 anatomy
80 poisoning
80 stealth
90 healing
50 chiv
80 ninjitsu

what would be good stats to work with this?
i already have almost 100 dex
Pagan
PAS Squire
PAS Squire

Postby Tracy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:58 pm

Depends on your weapon. If you are talking about PvP, find yourself an uber kryss or dagger with high SSI, and you can have low dex and still maintain max swing rate (so long as you chug those red pots when your stamina drops below 2/3 or 1/2).

If you have a slower weapon, have higher dex.

Put Strength at 100, then adjust your dex to whatever will give you max swing rate.

Put the rest in Intelligence.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Pagan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:40 pm

any place i can look for max swing speed?

ICQ# - 322-525-144
Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/mean_bob
Pagan
PAS Squire
PAS Squire

Postby Tracy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:53 pm

Max swing rate is one swing per 1.25 seconds, regardless of the swing speed of the weapon. If you have a dagger with 30 SSI, having 150 dex won't make you swing any faster than having 75 dex (although it would be nice).

My nox fencer mage uses a spell channeling no penalty dagger, I don't think it even has SSI on it and her dex is only 45, and she hits near max (or at max if I drink an agility potion, boosting me to 65 dex temporarily).

so with a fast weapon it's not too hard to do.

I don't know where to go to actually input numbers and have it tell you what exactly your swing speed is, but keep in mind if you are a warrior type predominantly (you have fencing, you have chiv, you heal with bandages instead of magery), then having a bit of extra dex won't hurt.

With a 225 cap I'd recommend:
100 Str
75 Dex
50 Int

IF AND ONLY IF you find a fast weapon to deal your poison with, like a dagger or a kryss. If it's a slower weapon, you'll need more dex.

If you eat a stat scroll and have more points to work with, throw them all in int. It won't hurt you a bit. :)
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Postby Pagan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:43 am

lol if i had only thought on that sooner i wouldnt have let my dex go so high, is at 101 or 102 right now. probly take it to around 80 dex to give myself just that little bit faster aid heal

ICQ# - 322-525-144
Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/mean_bob
Pagan
PAS Squire
PAS Squire

Postby Tracy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:32 pm

That is true, healing speed is based on your dex in increments of 20. So if you are at 80 dex it will take you six seconds to self heal with a bandage.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Return to Ask Dara