Should Fflam become a Elf?

Ask Dara questions about UO. Whether its IDing a rare, or how something works, or doesnt work, ask Dara! He knows EVERYTHING (Almost)!

Moderator: xare

Should Fflam become a Elf?

Postby Karn » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:42 pm

Fflam kinda likes playing a human, RPing a drunk bard who loves to chase barmaids. Elves can't chase barmaids because of lesser physical properties well known by women everywhere.

Fflam also wants better resists on his LMC suit, and he can't wear the Stitchers unless he's a Elf. By dropping the necro glasses and/or the pendant of the magi and putting on the Stitchers, he can be better protected and have LRC.

Hate to lose the 20 skill in human but want better resists. I would lose the 2 MR and 2HP regen.

What to do?
Karn
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1)

Postby Rex » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:50 pm

I hate being an elf.
Rex
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:01 pm

does Fflam have magery?

If so he should be an elf purely for game mechanical reasons.

You get 20 extra mana, and unless you use a weapon and weapon specials you shouldn't miss that 20 skill across the board at all.

Plus you get auto nightsight regardless of what you wear.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Karn » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:23 pm

Thanks mal, one point to Elf. Any more input?
Karn
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby kyra » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:49 am

20 skill ?
kyra

Postby Tracy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:20 am

Humans have an innate 20 skill in everything (except stealth, and if you have hiding at 50 or higher you have 20 innate stealth as well).

This means a few things:
slightly harder to reveal those who invis and are humans (20 hiding skill)
2 extra stamina regen, 1 extra mana regen (from 20 focus, unless you have real skill in focus)
2 extra mana regen (from 20 med, unless you have real skill in med)

Mana cost on weapon specials are computed based on your totals in various weapon skills plus parry, bushido, ninjitsu and lumberjacking.

If I have a template that is:
120 swords
120 tactics
120 anatomy
120 resist
120 healing
100 lumberjacking
(basically a straight up axe fighter, no chiv etc)

then my weapon specials will cost a little lower than if I had a weapon skill alone, cuz of the 220 total between swords and lumberjacking. This caps out at 300. At 300, infecting costs 5 mana, armor ignore costs 20, etc. Add to your 220 the 20 innate bonuses for stuff like 20 parrying, 20 ninjitsu, 20 bushido, 20 fencing, 20 macing, and you're over your 300 cap.

Basically, being a human lowers mana cost of weapon specials, and if you have no mana or focus it also gives you 3 mana and 2 stamina regen. And, as an added bonus, as a human you can carry more weight.

Those are all the pros of the human race.

The elven race gives you 20 mana increase, permanent night sight, a better chance to reveal people (innately or actively), and a better chance to mine the special gems/fish for pearls/lumberjack for amber.

So, as a general rule, if you're a mage, be an elf
if you're a crafter, be an elf
if you're a fighter/warrior type, be a human.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Karn » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:20 am

I did it, Fflam is elven.

Thanks for the input.
Karn
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Return to Ask Dara