Ninja Template - Help please.

Ask Dara questions about UO. Whether its IDing a rare, or how something works, or doesnt work, ask Dara! He knows EVERYTHING (Almost)!

Moderator: xare

Postby Tracy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:05 am

Exactly.

The formula used was set in place before the days of powerscrolls, so the best combo is 120/80, because with 120 you get higher hit chance and defense chance, and you don't have to work poisoning those last 20 points.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby kyra » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:10 am

Got it.

I think I just mis-read what you wrote.

Thanks!
kyra

Postby Valkyrie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:34 am

I misread what he wrote too Kyra. It sounded like a mage gained something by having 100 poisoning whereas a warrior did not.

I found an answer to my 80 stealth question but I'd still greatly appreciate answers to the rest of my queries. I'm especially confused regarding the difference between tactics and anatomy and why some templates would have a weapon and no tactics. I'm hoping to get replies to my questions before this weekend since I'd like to remake Elizabethe on Saturday. Thanks again to those who've replied and I'd value any other input my guildies want to give. :)
Valkyrie
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:09 am

Most actions have two basic components, the first being the skill regulating the chance of success and the second being the skill regulating the strength of the action.

Some of them won't work in some aspects whatsoever without the secondary skill, some of them will work to limited effect.

You can have a mage with no eval, but the magery heals and direct damage spells will be weak. But you still have full capability with spells like invis, gate, recall, mindblast, etc.

Healing is a primary, while anat is a secondary (and gives you a slight damage bonus to melee, but that's irrelevant here). You can heal without anatomy, but you HAVE to have at least 60 anat and 60 healing to have a chance to cure poison, and you have to have 80 and 80 to have a chance to res.

Taming is a primary, and animal lore is a secondary. In this case both are mandatory to have a tamer with any effeciency whatsoever.

Veterinary is a primary, and animal lore is also its secondary. You can vet with no lore, but you must have 60/60 to have a chance to cure poison, and 80/80 to have a chance to res a pet. Change out vet for healing and lore for anat and you can take care of humans instead of pets. EXACT same concept.

Swords/fencing/wrestling/mace fighting are primary skills with tactics being the secondary. In this case, the weapon skill determines your chance to hit, and your tactics gives you the much needed damage bonus. If your char's primary job will be in a group PvP setting and you will be mainly using him or her for weapon specials like disarm and dismount, then tactics is not necessary, because you don't necessarily care how much damage you do so long as you can knock someone off their horse.

Poisoning is a nice skill, but it is WHOLLY reliant on other skills in order to have any useful effectiveness. Yes, you can poison a weapon with just the poisoning skill, but you can't use it yourself.

When your weapon skill plus your poisoning skill add up to 200, you have a 100% chance of applying deadly poison to weapons.

When your weapon skill plus your poisoning skill add up to 200, you have the best possible chance to strike with level 5 poison (i.e., The poison was extra effective!)

When your magery plus your poisoning skill add up to 200, you have the best possible chance to cast higher level poisons (although the poison spell itself will be a lower level poison if you are further from your target, much like harm doing 2 damage from 6 tiles away vs. 12 damage if you are in an adjacent tile...but your poison fields will be level 4 or 5 if your magery + poisoning = 200).

So if you can get 120 magery and 120 weapon skill, then yeah there is ABSOLUTELY no benefit to having over 80 poisoning.

So if I say lore is to veterinary as tactics is to swordsmanship, you know what I mean...it just determines the strength of the pet heals.

Another good example of this is spirit speak and necromancy. Yeah you can have a necro with no spirit speak, just like you can have a char with spirit speak and no necro, but people don't put spirit speak on their chars for its insane healing capabilities, that's for sure. Spirit speak is to necro as eval is to magery. Determines spell strength.

Some skills use something other than another skill to determine the strength or potency of the skill. An example of this is chivalry, where chiv is the primary and your karma is your secondary. Higher karma gives stronger chiv spells, low or negative karma ensures some chiv spells don't work at all.

Anyway that's my spiel...and hopefully you can glean answers from all this relating to your tactics question and perhaps a bit of clarification on your poisoning question.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Valkyrie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:25 am

*Grins*

Ya missed a couple questions...

I remember reading on the old board something about ninja archers being good. Is that still a viable option and what would the best template for that be?

Is there any benefit to 120 ninjitsu? I noticed nobody even suggested that.

Would chiv work instead of healing/anat to save points?

From what you said, anat gives a small damage bonus ... and tactics, as I believed, gives more of a damage increase. I do care about damage. Yea specials in a group setting are all well and good but not interesting enuf to make a character for. And I live on Felluca more than 50% of the time. She's not likely to be grouped every time I play her. So considering she's likely to want to kill solo now and then ... I presume that she'd need tactics. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I remember KD saying stealth ninja archers were needed. Hmmm I like archers and I like stealthers. So I'm interested in basic info on that.

But a sneak up and skullfuk the enemy type toon would be equally enjoyable and I've always loved DP ...

I'm just trying to make a good killing machine. But deciding on a template is the hardest part LOL Thanx for helping. :)
Valkyrie
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:20 pm

can't really tell you about 120 ninjitsu, only benefit I know of is it gives you a 100% chance to use any of the forms, and dog form is the fastest, gives you a quick getaway if the battle isn't going your way. Considering you can run as fast as a mounted person when you're on foot in dog form, it's an option worth considering. But you can't do much in that form, so it's really more of a getaway than a chasedown.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Postby xare » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:25 pm

I really thought Mage heal spells were based off your Magery skill, and eval was only damage spells other than mindblast. Should go test this ya know...

Anyway, I believe stealth archers have been nerfed into oblivion. As far as chiv, you could do it. BUT, poisoning a weapon lowers your karma. And its also placing a bigger strain on your mana pool. I try to avoid that if I can. The idea behind poisoning is to prevent the target from healing, and/or taking a decent amount of damage before they do. Kinda negates the low damage modifiers.

Just throwing my "almost two years since I've played and is prolly obsolete" ideas on pvp style out there.
xare
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 3
Bela Lugosi Medal of Valor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Tracy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:53 pm

Yeah I'm wrong about healing, I realized that when my tamer with no eval ghealed herself for 46 hp.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Postby xare » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:31 pm

:P

No other comments though Jr?
xare
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:16 pm

nah...unless there are other specific questions.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Postby Darsus » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:13 pm

well, from my sources, if u get 100 poisoning and 120 fencing, it will PRETTY much give u anywhere from 70-100% of lethal..........not 100% sure but i tried it on TC and i lethaled ppl every time, and owned ppl....with the temp i was running.......

and bout the ninja/archer, they pretty good, helps alot when fighting reds and u not on mount, u can dismount and change forms if u in trouble.....of course i waited til i had 20 counts b4 i decided to try to train ninjitsu.......BAD idea.....got 1 point in 10 day(if u woundering, thats 1 gain a day or GGS)
Darsus
PAS Crusader
PAS Crusader

Postby xare » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:09 pm

I'm almost 100% positive, like maybe 97% or so, that 120 fencing and 80 poisoning will give a 100% chance to get level 5 poison.
xare
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Tracy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:09 pm

Nah, I think it's only like a 95% chance, once in a while it just hits level 4 but not very often at all...

It's frequent enough that you just use another 5 mana for another infectious strike and it's a level 5...I never get two in a row that don't bump up to the next level.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Postby Mystique » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:51 pm

I would also like to hear your answer on Archer being a Ninga as Valkyrie asked. Let us know if good or stick to Swords/Fencing. Thanks :D
*Hugs & Smiles*

Yesterday is History; Tomorrow a Mystery; Today a Gift
Mystique
In Memory
In Memory

Postby Tracy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:53 pm

Stealth ninja archers definitely have an advantage over stealth ninja fencers/macers/swordsmen, for the simple fact that you can be hidden (at the bridge by the bog, or along the road at brit gate or wherever) and you can pop out of stealth and dismount someone from a distance as opposed to having to be within one tile.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Ask Dara