DS (Devilspawn) lives on ....

The "good old days" in RL and InG

DS (Devilspawn) lives on ....

Postby KDSonoma » Wed May 07, 2014 8:39 pm

I saw an old friend in the halls at work today that I hadn't seen in about 2 years. She worked with me when I was in a different division, and she told me that she always thinks of me whenever she hears someone talk about picking up someone at the airport.

I had told her my Devilspawn story of the first time I met him in RL.

DS and I had met on forums, and became friends, although we were opposites (he was a griefer and I was a goody two shoes ingame).

He and his dad flew down to Austin to stay at my house (along with 4 other players) when UO had its first UO worlds faire here in Austin in 1998 or 1999.

Anyways, I never asked him what his RL name was, so I show up at the airport with Princess Katie (she was about 7 at the time) to pick them up. So I write "DEVILSPAWN" on a piece of paper and hold it up at the escalator was people came into Austin.

I got some real odd looks from people as they went by, and one old lady even grabbed the cross around her neck and held it up to me as she walked by, with a dirty look on her face. :)

We stood there with 2 RL professional chaeuffers, who got a kick out of our sign too.

So I said "Katie, do you want to hold the sign for a bit?". She laughed and said NO WAY I see how people are looking at you.

:)

So anyways DS showed up and he and his dad got a kick out of the sign too, and we went on to our house and had a blast that weekend.

So back to my RL friend at work. She said she remembered the story, but then realized that if DS was devilspawn, wouldn't that make his dad the devil himself?

ROFL I hadn't ever thought of that, but I guess she was right.

Anyways, I thought I would share that story here in case I hadn't before.

Proof that DS lives on in the RL stories of my friends that heard that story. My friend said she must have told the story to 20 or so of her relatives already. SO who knows how many people know DS now in RL because of that one story.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Ciara » Wed May 07, 2014 9:41 pm

I love this story, and I've never heard it before. Thank you, KD! One of my all time favorite events was crafting night, when you would tell us old stories. And one of my all time favorite stories was the one you told about driving and seeing a dead bird on the road. I'll let you tell it.

*hugs*
Ciara
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Thu May 08, 2014 6:56 am

rofl Ciara. That was probably my first story about UO.

My friends and I were playing UO very late every night as it was brand new.

We would sometimes get to bed about 4:00 in the morning, and get up at 6 to get to work. Then as soon as we got home, back to UO.

Repeat repeat for a few months.

Ingame, I got hooked on killing every bird that came on screen, since we could make our own arrows (that my char desperately needed). So I would chop wood every night for a few minutes, and make arrows from the shafts and feathers. My friends used to make fun of me because I would chase a bird onscreen instead of staying with them on a hunt.

:)

So ... I got up and was driving to work one morning, and as I was driving, I saw a dead bird on the side of the road.

I started to brake and pull over and this is what I heard in my head ...

A DEAD BIRD!
IM PULLING OVER TO GET THOSE FEATHERS!
WAIT, I DON'T HAVE A KNIFE ON ME!
WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BACKPACK?

and then for just a moment, I thought "what the HELL?"

And I realized I was playing UO too often.

So I cut down to about 40 hours a week (from the 60 hours a week I was playing hehe).

And I haven't tried to pull over for any dead birds since then. I laugh now when I see a dead bird on the side of the road, remembering that incident.

I was just lucky I didn't have an accident, because I would have had to explain to the officer why I pulled over like that. that would have gone over REAL POORLY I believe.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby wild flower » Thu May 08, 2014 6:49 pm

I love that story too. ROFL

Now I will love the DS story too.

Thanks KD for the good ol days
wild flower
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Mastica's Light of Love (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Ciara » Thu May 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanks, KD. That is one of my all time favorite KD stories!
Ciara
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Return to UO/PAS stories