Treasure Hunter

Anything related to template questions/advice etc

Treasure Hunter

Postby Tracy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:47 pm

I'm not usually one to start a topic in this particular forum, I'm more likely to reply and help someone else with a template, but this one has me looking for a little help.

The goal is to have one character fill two template roles. I want him to be a fisherman who does MIBs and casts nets and kills stuff from nets. I also want him to be able to stone off one or two skills, pick up one or two skills, and be able to T-hunt and kill treasure chest guardians up through level 6 solo.

There are a large variety of treasure hunter templates out there. Some involve stealth. Some are mage type templates, some with taming and/or barding skills. I'm looking at a mage template. I don't know if Mining is absolutely necessary anymore or not, since I don't have my beloved UOAM and haven't done a single T-map in about 6 years now. Also spawn points were randomized, so I think it's a necessity now, I dunno.

Anywho, we're looking at something along the following lines

Mage
Med
Eval
Resist (or a different complementing skill like spellweaving?)
Lockpicking
Cartography
Mining

Sacrificing some med to make up for other skills above 100, of course.
And it looks like I'd be stoning off Cartography for Fishing, and maybe mining for something else?

I'm not sure quite where I want to go with this, but there was enough potentially in common that I didn't want to make two characters just so one can hunt for water treasure and one for land treasure. Anyone have any advice?
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Warden » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:17 pm

Oh I'm full of advice, as usual. :oops:

I have a treasure hunter who can easily solo all levels of treasure maps, including lvl 7, unless it happens to be a lvl 7 Ishenar map that spawns a Renegade Changling. I've seen about 3 of these in the hundreds (possibly thousands) of maps I have done. Here is his template, or at least what it would be if I would ever finish him completely:

120 Magery
120 Mysticism
120 Eval
110 Med
110 Focus
100 Lockpicking
100 Mining/Cartography

You might notice that's 780 skill points. That's because I have 60 points on my jewelry.

Options? Well lockpicking is stuck there, of course. I also highly recommend mining. I have done without it, and the time and frustration it can sometimes take to find the chest just isn't worth it, in my opinion. There are times I could do 3 or 4 more chests in the time I waste looking for a spot without mining. And I use the EC with Pinco's UI, which is by far the most accurate way of lining yourself up with the map. I'm afraid some of them just aren't quite where they say they are.

Besides those, the vital skill here is Mysticism. The Rising Colossus is what lets me solo all those maps. It's far more powerful than even a pair of EVs. If I get 4 ancient wyrms to pop it can take a few minutes, but I really never die unless I do something really impatient. :D Drop an RC as I'm digging, invis as the chest surfaces, flay away and recast as necessary.

Speaking of flying, if you go with this template you *will* want to use a gargoyle. The ability to fly, and thus move at mounted speed while you have an RC out, is essential. Since an RC takes 5 control slots, elves and humans are stuck on foot. You can do it, but you will die pretty regularly.

All other skills are pretty flexible. You can drop eval and rely on your mysticism spells for damage, or drop focus and lose some mana regen. Instead add spellweaving for Word of Death -- very nice to finish off pesky ancient wyrms that like to heal. Also nice for Arcane Empowerment which makes your RCs considerably harder to dispel. Dispel-happy ancient wyrms and greater dragons are the most time-consuming mobs you normally have to deal with.

Stone off Lockpicking and Mining/Cartography to put on Fishing and Spellweaving/Eval/Focus (whatever you don't have.) Should work fine.

I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting...
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Warden » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:28 pm

Ack, I'm forgetting that Focus does for Mysticism what Eval does for Magery. Actually I was thinking they had changed it so it didn't do that anymore, but no such luck. I knew there was a reason I run 120 Focus and 110 Eval on my t-hunter, instead of the other way around. Anyway, template should look like this:

120 Magery
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
110 Meditation
110 Eval
100 Lockpicking
100 Mining/Cartography

And you can trade out Eval or Meditation, but not Focus. :D
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Tracy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:20 am

So when you put up mining/cartography, does that mean you regularly use cart for the maps, then stone it off and put on mining when you go dig it up?
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Warden » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Correct. Since I do the maps as I farm them, I rarely have more than 20 on hand. I put on Cartography, decode every map I have, then put mining back on. The maps stay decoded for a month or more, so it's not like I have to do them right away. I can look through them, group them by location, etc., then do them as I feel like it. By decoding all my maps and then putting mining right back on, my t-hunter is always ready to go when I just wanna do a quick map.
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Warden » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Something else I thought of. One of the main reasons I have not swapped out something to add Spellweaving is that SW is really only useful if you can get a focus. If you have enough accounts to do that yourself, then great. But I do almost all of my t-hunting at odd hours when nobody else is around to play with, so I would get frustrated trying to get a focus so I could go do a quick map. I could still work it up and keep it on a stone for those times it would be worth the trouble...
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:00 pm

rising colossus for the win.

My t hunter added mysticism and can solo all up through 7 except for some paragons in ilsh (although it obviously takes a little longer to complete a 7 solo).

The only diff between Avorian's template and mine is that I dont have eval and have both mining and cartography on the template. I could stone it off for eval, but I am lazy and do just fine without needing to do any direct magery damage.

But then again, I do treasure hunting mostly to relax a bit.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Warden » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 pm

I ran like that for a while without eval, but I am so in the habit of using magery that I kept getting frustrated. Really, even the damage spells I was learning to do without, but when I discovered that I couldn't even bless myself to carry back that extra treasure, I put eval back on.
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:25 pm

if I go overweight from gold etc, it's bag of sending ftw!

:)

Again, me being lazy.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby Warden » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:54 pm

Ever since I typed that I have been trying to remember if I had a bag of sending back then. Surely I did, but I can't remember a recent time that I had to bless myself to haul home the loot--I just use a BOS. Oh! I bet it was when I was looting the entire chest to unravel for imbuing gains. That would make sense. That would also explain why my t-hunter still has a pet ball linked to a pack beetle that I haven't used in years. :lol:
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:04 am

*smiles*

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Return to Template discussions