Update Thunter and tactics?

Anything related to template questions/advice etc

Update Thunter and tactics?

Postby LoL/Myst » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:25 am

So i've remade my old Thunter (used to be a chiv archer) and am now sporting a Tamer/Thunter with this build:

Lockpicking
Cartography/Mining (I cart all my maps at once and then stone to mining, thanks for the idea!)
Magery
Taming
Animal Lore
Vet
Meditation

I'm working on a 100% LRC suit with good resists (my current one is preimbuing patch and cant be enhanced, so all LRC, low resists).

I did a level 4 the other day and got stomped pretty bad. First i mistimed my invis spell and got revealed and kill by the initial spawn. Then i died twice to the spawn as i was looting. Both times my dragon did not guard me and i did not see the spawn before it had hit me (which = dead) to tell my dragon to kill.

Anyone know why guard doesnt always work? Any tips for surviving the initial spawn if invis doesnt work? Other helpful hints?

Thanks!
LoL/Myst
Healer
Healer

Postby Warden » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Looks like that template should work. Your magery won't do any damage without Eval but you should be able to get by with your pet for offense. You will get the invis timing down with a little practice and it works well in most situations. The only thing you have to watch is on level 6 and 7 maps in Tram or Fel, as they can spawn "cold" drakes and dragons. Those do an area of effect cold damage which will reveal you.

Are you using a Greater Dragon as your pet? My best advice for surviving the initial spawn if you mistime or get revealed is to do a race change token and become a gargoyle. That way you can run at mounted speed (flying) even though you have your dragon out. If I run (fly?) the second I get aggrod or revealed, I never have trouble getting away and getting another invis off. But while on foot I bet you'd be lucky to make it 50% of the time. If you do go gargoyle, do it before you make you new armor suit as you will need to make a whole new one as a garg.

Oh, as far as guarding, it seems sometimes my pets forget to guard me, depending on what other commands I have given them since. Try just repeating that guard command frequently throughout the hunt. Also, you use the enhanced client, right? If so, set a hotkey to "nearest enemy target". Mine is set to spacebar so I can't miss. Then set a hotkey for "all kill" with the target set to "current". Then if something spawns and your dragon doesn't immediately attack it, hit those two keys and he will. You might be able to do that in the classic client as well...I just know how it works in the EC.
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby LoL/Myst » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Warden,

Thanks for the tips! The target nearest tip will be a HUGE help. I'm new to the EC and that one is a gem.

I dont know about going to Gargy. It seems to me that their itemizations isnt as good as elf and human (still not sure why they had to add a while seperate set of equipment!) and i would have to start completely over on gear, and i'm not sure how i would get it as this char is my primary money maker! =)

That said ... being able to run with my GD would be great. Is there a huge downside with other rideable pets though? I mean, i have saved a misbehaving pet in the past by mounting up and running ... =)
LoL/Myst
Healer
Healer

Postby Warden » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:47 pm

One thing to watch on the target nearest enemy is that it will also target EV's and RC's. If you are solo with your pet, this is no problem. But you really have to watch what it targets when in groups with other mages.

It IS annoying that gargs have almost completely different gear. Not sure either why they had to do that. On the plus side, garg armor has higher resists so it's generally easier to build a nice garg suit. Do you have an imbuer yet? If not, and if you decide to go gargoyle, come see me and we can get you a pretty good garg suit going without spending much of anything. Also, the same rings, bracelets and robes can be worn by gargoyles, even though there are also gargish versions which cannot be worn by humans/elves. And most of your cloaks, aprons and sashes, and some hats and weapons, can be altered to be used by gargs.

The downside to the garg tamer is, of course, that you can't ride any pets anymore. On the other hand, once I could fly with my greater dragon, I discovered that almost the only reason I took other pets out before was because I wanted to be able to be mounted. Now that I can fly, I have very little reason not to just use my GD. This could be a downside too, of course, as sometimes I miss the variety and sometimes I just plain miss being able to ride a cool looking mount. But for me the trade-off has been worth it. I HATE dying because I can't move fast enough, and I almost never die anymore as a garg tamer. I have also learned to adapt to not being able to get on a pet to pull it out before it dies, though that is very nice to be able to do.
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:26 pm

personally I would trade med for dischord. Dischord is the most overpowered skill in the game in my opinion. It ROCKS! And if u use the enhanced client, just bring a suit of max mana regen and pop that on while your pet attacks stuff, it will get your mana back, not as fast as med skill, but should be plenty I would think.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby LoL/Myst » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:56 pm

I would drop med KD, but i dont have room for both music AND dischord. =(

That and dischord is a PAIN to train up. I gave up in the 60s the last time i tried IIRC.

Warden - you have me considering it ... My imbuer is only in the high 60s right now ... all on unravel gains from t-maps and SoSs =). I hear you can do that until 70, so when i get there i'll actually have to try training it. Training Imbue is not fun times for me so i'm dreading it. Too many clicks and no "make max" option. =)

I'm a big fan of the variety ... My fav combo is still probably my mare/runebeetle. I would kill for EA to normalize some of the high end pets a bit. It would be great it everyone didnt HAVE to have a GD for PvE.

i can tell you right now how this is going to work. I'm going to stick to my guns all the way up to the point where i die three times on one chest again. .. and then one of these race change tokens i've had sitting around it going to get used up. =P
LoL/Myst
Healer
Healer

Postby Warden » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:28 pm

I hear you on the variety and normalization. I love being able to choose different pets according to resists, damage type, etc., but so often I have to take the GD anyway even though his damage type isn't ideal, because he's the only one that survives long enough to be useful. I think they should drop the requirement of ethy mounts taking up a control slot, so everybody has the option of moving at speed no matter what pets they have out. Then add or change some pets that are equivalent to a GD but with different strengths and weaknesses.
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby LoL/Myst » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:09 am

Ya. i really think there should be one powerful pet per damage type. All fairly similar in HPs (within a few hundred max). Each could have an unusualy str or special ability (Rune beetle poison, Cu bleed/healing, etc)

Could be something like:
Physical - Hiryu (stays the same, special abilities Speed(?), rideable and dismount)
Fire - GD (Add fire as main dmg type! Casting ability)
Cold - Bring back the White Wyrm! (otherwise similar to GD)
Poison - Rune Beetle! (Warp, Deadly poison, bleed and casting)
Energy - Cu Sidhe (Healing, Bleed, Rideable)

Would be even better if there were two (OMG!) viable choices per damage type! =) ...
LoL/Myst
Healer
Healer

Postby KDSonoma » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 pm

lol must be the meds .. I thought I had seen provoke in there and assumed music was there already rofl.

Shingles ftl (for the loss).

:)

KD
Last edited by KDSonoma on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby aibandit » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:09 pm

This is the template I used. I swapped mining on a soulstone after I dug up the chest.
It had 120 focus aswell I might be missing something else too...

A suit full of MI and MR and you'll be able to do up to level 7's (some 7's i needed a little help on)

I know it's not a tamer but it quickly became my favorite template RC's are awesome.

Note: Fishing was removed and replaced for Thunts.
Hope is not a strategy.
Rest In Peace SSgt. Christopher Rudzinski

Chars: Engel des todes, MaDeuce (Pronounced (mä doos), Bandit, Infidel inc, Slayer
aibandit
Merchant
Merchant

Postby LoL/Myst » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:26 am

Interesting. Spellweaving/Mysticism are on my list to try ... I still have never gotten past the 60s or so in any of the "new" spellcaster classes. I just drives me insane that they dont have travel spells. Makes no sense. =P
LoL/Myst
Healer
Healer

Postby Warden » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Yeah, don't try myst/SW without magery. Even if you cripple your magery by running it without eval, you still need to be able to travel, mark, invis, gate, etc. And really, I find having magery's damage spells available is a huge boon, as between the three casting skills I can almost always find something to fit a weak resist on the target.

Bandit, you had to have had focus (unless you had imbuing) because it does for mysticism what eval does for magery. Your RC's would not have solo'd much of anything for you without focus. Also, why the heck would you run only 100 spellweaving??? Word of Death is a dream come true for a t-hunter trying to finish off high level spawn that's flying around healing, but it's worthless until you get to at least 110...
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby aibandit » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Warden wrote:Yeah, don't try myst/SW without magery. Even if you cripple your magery by running it without eval, you still need to be able to travel, mark, invis, gate, etc. And really, I find having magery's damage spells available is a huge boon, as between the three casting skills I can almost always find something to fit a weak resist on the target.

Bandit, you had to have had focus (unless you had imbuing) because it does for mysticism what eval does for magery. Your RC's would not have solo'd much of anything for you without focus. Also, why the heck would you run only 100 spellweaving??? Word of Death is a dream come true for a t-hunter trying to finish off high level spawn that's flying around healing, but it's worthless until you get to at least 110...

Invis is very much your friend while Thunting so you need Magery I tried doing pots it can work with the right timing but I still died a few times. Yeah I had 120 focus I accidently scrolled down on UOA when I took the shot. I know WOD is good but I just started messing with spell weaving before I sold the account. 120 Focus 120 mystics can handle themselves really well without it. With my limited play time spell weaving wasn't that great without a arcane focus or whatever it is called. :)
Hope is not a strategy.
Rest In Peace SSgt. Christopher Rudzinski

Chars: Engel des todes, MaDeuce (Pronounced (mä doos), Bandit, Infidel inc, Slayer
aibandit
Merchant
Merchant

Return to Template discussions