Changes to T-hunting

Anything related to template questions/advice etc

Changes to T-hunting

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:22 pm

Ok, one of my favorite templates to play was my t-hunter. I have not done a treasure hunt since the changes so wanted to know if it is still possible to solo the level six maps?

My old template was magery, eval, music, peace, cart, and lockpicking. I would just throw ev's at everything until it died. Peacing was to get aggro off of me long enough to run away if needed. That seems like alot of wasted points though for only one use.

I am thinking of making a mage/mystic into a t-hunter. 120 magery, eval, myst, focus and 100 cart and lockpicking. remaining 40 points i would throw into meditation.

What templates are others running these days? Please do not just tell me to check stratics. I absolutely hate stratics and will not go there if I can help it at all.
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Postby Warden » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:22 am

You only need cartography to decode the maps, which you can do at home and then put on a soulstone. Decoded maps are good for 30 days before they become encoded again. During that 30 days, the character that decoded them can open them up and read them even without cartography, but nobody else can.

Mining is the skill you put on when you trade out cartography. Now that the map locations are random, you will need mining to find them without pulling out all your hair. Trust me. I thought I would do without mining, but it's just not worth it.

So after 100 lockpicking and 100 mining, you have 520 skillpoints left to play with. I have a a mage/mystic build which can easily solo any lvl of map except Ilshenar level 7. But then I don't know anybody who can solo those with their t-hunter. My full-blown mystic mage can do it, but once you add 200 points of t-hunting skills, I have not seen a template strong enough.

My build is just what you listed, after the mining/cartography trade...

120 Magery
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
120 Eval
40 Meditation

Or at least that's what it would be if I finished all his skills. :D

The Rising Colossus is what allows you to solo any map. I have tried it with EV's on test center but just could not get the ancient wyrms and greater dragons finished off. They start flying and healing...spent two fruitless hours once with a maxed out character who could drop an EV every 5 seconds without running out of mana, and never did get the Ancient Wyrm (in that case) finished off. RC's usually have no significant trouble. I also recommend as much Spell Damage Increase as you can put on suit plus a good selection of slayer spellbooks, for when you need to finish things off. You really want mysticism at 115+ (and preferably 120) to be able to cast the RC reliably enough to make the maps fun. Otherwise you can get by with lower skills as you train up.

With a bit of practice you can time your invis spells so you won't miss your peacemaking skill at all. 8)
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:41 am

Warden wrote:With a bit of practice you can time your invis spells so you won't miss your peacemaking skill at all. 8)

I rarely used it on my old template. I kept finding myself just running off and casting invis to break aggro then remembering that I could have thrown out an area peace...LOL
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby KDSonoma » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 pm

I agree, with a little practice you can time a self invis at a 99.9% success rate. I think it's been about 7 yrs since my T hunter died because I mistimed a self invis. I throw it when the chest starts showing on map, then the instant the chest comes out I click on my bar that I drag (so I dont miss the invis because something pops up next to me and blocks my view of my character).

My char is a dischord provo T hunter (well still working on dischord anyways). I would agree though the RCs should make the T hunter able to solo any map.

I can solo through a level 4 map fairly easily, and about 2/3 of the level 5s that I pop.

I also totally agree on needing mining. That was SOOOOOOOOOO frustrating to try to find the chests when they changed T hunting awhile ago.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Re: ...

Postby Warden » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:05 pm

KDSonoma wrote:I agree, with a little practice you can time a self invis at a 99.9% success rate. I think it's been about 7 yrs since my T hunter died because I mistimed a self invis. I throw it when the chest starts showing on map, then the instant the chest comes out I click on my bar that I drag (so I dont miss the invis because something pops up next to me and blocks my view of my character).

Exactly. There is about 1/2 a second after the chest comes out (completely out) before all the spawn pops, and that is the moment where you click your precast invis on your status bar. If you invis too early, you will be revealed when you go through the next digging motion. If you don't have it precast, you can't cast it fast enough in the 1/2 second you get.

Only one thing to watch out for: frost drakes (lvl 6 maps) and frost dragons (lvl 7). They only spawn on Tram and Fel maps, but they do AOE cold damage which reveals you. Otherwise, as long as you are invis before the spawn pops, you will never be revealed. Run away and invis again to get set up for the RC casting.

Last thing (for now): my personal recommendation is to be a gargoyle so you can fly (mounted speed) while you have an RC (5 slot pet) out. I can think of few places this is more useful than on a t-hunter, where you can precast an RC, dig the chest, then fly out of range while your RC goes to work.
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:54 pm

The first invis I never have a problem with...I had peacing because as I would stand there casting ev after ev sometimes the spawn would switch target and go after me...I would throw out an area peace and run away then come back and resume ev casting..

I just wanted to make sure they had not made the spawn too hard to handle solo...The baddies generally hung around the chest so I would lure one away at a time and ev it to death...I will still do the same just using RC...

Next question is about the remaining t-maps I had before the changes...I have around 175 level 6 maps that were never decoded...please tell me I can still use them...lol...I spent hours and hours smacking the 5#!+ out of miasma to get those maps...
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Postby Warden » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:16 am

Yes, old maps can still be decoded. Even if they had been decoded (but not dug) before, after 30 days ALL maps reset and must be decoded again, so you'd still be ok.

Luring one mob away is pretty much the tactic now, except that the guardian mobs rubber-band back if you lead them very far (sometimes just a screen away will do it, unless, of course, you have only a sliver of health and are running like a bat out of %^&$, in which case they chase you forever. Seriously, that seems to be part of the AI, because as soon as you damage them they bounce back.) This just means you work the spawn a little closer to the other spawn than you might like. Usually not a problem except sometimes the corpses of your first kills poof before you get everything killed and can go loot.

I use the first invis only to survive the initial pop. As soon as they have popped and my RC aggros one, I fly out of range, invis again, then work it from the edges. Since they rubber band, I end up running out and invising several times as other mobs aggro me.

I mentioned that I cannot solo lvl 7 Ilshenar maps with my t-hunter. That is only because of one thing that can spawn on them: the Renegade Changling. If you have ever killed Irk, Spite or Guile while hunting Dread Horn keys, picture one of them as a Paragon. That's what every Renegade Changling is like. Which means I am always on the lookout for lvl 7 Ilsh maps. They are the only crazy, everybody dying, running for your life, hanging on by a thread, wow-it-feels-so-good-to-finally-kill-this-thing t-maps left anymore. :shock: Even a lvl 7 Fel map with 3 Frost Dragons (beefed up, cold damage Greater Dragons) is tame in comparison.
Warden
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

SilverHawk Medal (1)

Return to Template discussions