Where Does Overpoweredness Come From?

Talk about anything that's clean.

Where Does Overpoweredness Come From?

Postby WiLdMaN » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:10 am

Many often wonder what the Devs were thinking when they brought out things like Bushido's 80 damage crits and WoD's 90 damage hits and here's what I think:

Dev members keep their employers happy by developing expansions that sell. In order to assure the successfulness of this endeavour, Devs put in these deviously overpowered skills, abilities, and ways to horde cash (bottle quest?) and items purposely to all-but force customers to buy the expansion for every account they own to stay on a fair playing ground with everyone else. When a long lapse of time finally passes, Dev turns off the overpoweredness, but the deal is done; we can't send back these purchased expansions even if we only bought them for that overpowered reason that has now ceased to exist.

Maybe shrewd businessing, but it's very effective.

(This is just my opinion on the matter)
WiLdMaN
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 3
Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby wild flower » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:28 pm

What bottle quest hordes money? Money is always good.

:Bri :flower: :Witch
wild flower
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Karn » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:29 pm

I think they didn't test enough in the PvP area. And no PvPer in their right mind during any beta test would say you need to tone this down. It would be saved for the kills enjoyed by PvPers in any game, worldwide.

Once realized that combos, skills, weapons would make it crazy easy to kill someone, they toned it down.

The major toning happened right when they realized and began to add proficiencies etc, trying to tone down the massive hits we all do/did in PvP and PvM. Look what they did to the DF in Doom, and Liches in general.

Their concepts have changed somewhat since we had the advent of Bush and Ninja added to the game.
Karn
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1)

Postby WiLdMaN » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:49 pm

Not a bad theory, Karn, but unfortunately wrong.

Many PvPers complained during the "beta test" of all the afore mentioned overpowered skills and templates, but unfortunately it was ignored. I could understand keeping the bottle quest quiet and noone wanting to see that nerfed, as it brought the difficulty to aquiring items in this item based game down a huge notch, but as far as massive crits and other directly PvP-overpowered things, there will always be someone to point it out since there will always be someone on the other side of the overpowered template/skill.

Again, many complained about it and it took over 6 months (possibly over a year, I don't remember time well) to get it fixed. Why? To sell Samurai's Empire and Mondain's Legacy. Want to continue to compete on the PvP scene? Buy SE and ML!!!
WiLdMaN
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 3
Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Return to General Discussion