Hit Lower Defense

Ask Dara questions about UO. Whether its IDing a rare, or how something works, or doesnt work, ask Dara! He knows EVERYTHING (Almost)!

Moderator: xare

Hit Lower Defense

Postby DevilSpawn » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:50 pm

Hey...

HLD, what's it do? I've got competing theories and posts about this.

At one time it was thought that if you had 50 HLD on your weapon, that meant that 50% of the time you hit someone, it dropped their DCI by 25.

Most people (I think) thinks that whenever you get hit by someone with HLD, it lowers your DCI by the amount of HLD they have... making HLD uber... so 80 HLD would drop your 45 DCI to -35 DCI.

Is it possible for DCI to be negative? Is DCI just the DCI stat or does it count against weapon skill "dodge" chance too? I know HLD doesn't affect parry.

I believe that DCI can be negative and it counts against your fighting skill "dodge" chance as well when you get hit with HLD. Do monsters have DCI? I dont think they do. If they don't does HLD affect them? If it affects fighting skills it does...

Anyone read a 5 on friday or something about it?
DevilSpawn
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 3
Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Tracy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:05 pm

Based solely on large amounts of experience with Jr, I can tell you that HLD doesn't hit every time. Whether or not the opponent has DCI it has an effect.

If you have 46% HLD, then 46% of the time you'll lower the opponent's defense chance. Defense chance is determined by comparing your weapon skill level for the weapon you are holding (or magery shown skill if a mage weapon) plus any DCI items you have vs. your opponent's weapon skill for their weapon (or wrestling...or whatever) plus their HCI.

HLD lowers their defense chance by whatever predetermined amount (may be 25, I'm not sure) for a set timeframe (again, not sure), regardless of if the other guy is wearing any DCI or not.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby DevilSpawn » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Could it be both at once? Its got a percent chance to hit based on your HLD number and then lowers defense by the HLD number? Or are you sure that it's by a certain DCI amount that it decreases defense?
DevilSpawn
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) LEAPARD Medal of Justice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby Tracy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:06 pm

It's a set amount, because I've noticed a difference with a 5% HLD weapon, when it actually hits lower defense.
Tracy
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Medals: 5
Mastica's Light of Love (1) Artemis Entreri Medal of Honor (1) DeGuy Medal of Honesty (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) PAS Royal Guard (1)

Postby DevilSpawn » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:10 am

that's very interesting... good way to test it too.
DevilSpawn
PAS Royal Guard
PAS Royal Guard

Return to Ask Dara