Lock picking

Talk about anything that's clean.

Lock picking

Postby aibandit » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:34 am

I've been picking 98 tinker boxes at 28 lockpicking. I know that's not recommended but even when I am successful I don't gain.

I was picking for about 30 min before I started pulling my hair out.
Is the tinkering of the box's the reason I'm not gaining? even when I have successful picks.

I literally haven't gained any :(
Hope is not a strategy.
Rest In Peace SSgt. Christopher Rudzinski

Chars: Engel des todes, MaDeuce (Pronounced (mä doos), Bandit, Infidel inc, Slayer
aibandit
Merchant
Merchant

Postby Damien Kilcannon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:32 pm

If the level of skill of the tinker is too high then that is correct even if you succeed you will not gain...do you have a skill tutor crystal ball thingy?...you have it in your backpack and it tells you the difficulty rating when you attempt a skill...if you dont have one I highly recommend getting one...ask KD he has tons... :)
Damien Kilcannon
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 1
Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Postby Maldar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:38 pm

It has been years since I worked Lockpicking to GM but I'll see if I can help at all.

Make sure you have points available under your skill cap and make certain you have Lockpicking turned up to gain.

I got a lot of my gains picking the chests in the Crypts (there are two locations) so that I also made gold and found the occasional good item. They are both perfectly safe areas to work, too.
Last edited by Maldar on Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maldar
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 3
One Eyed Jack's Stand of Cour (1) Zerena Medal of Sacrifice (1) SilverHawk Medal (1)

Postby KDSonoma » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:08 pm

the house next to PAS bagball has a rune to the THB lockpick house.

They have boxes made by tinkers at the various levels, so u start at the easiest, then work your way up as u gain skill. At like 95 or 98, u have to LP chests in dungeons for gains.

This same house next to bagball has runes to many dungeon and town chests to get those last gains, everything is on a table on the first floor (this is also the tmap house).

If you are at 28 skill, u need to try to pick boxes locked by tinkers around your level (30-35 maybe) for best gains.

I have the skill tutor crystal balls that will also help, as someone stated. You put them in your backpack, turn them on, then any skill that gets worked it will give you a response as to whether you are working something thats too easy, optimal, etc. So it really helps you get the best range at least for gains.

Catch me ingame and Ill get u a rune to the tmap house and a skill tutor crystal ball to help.

That THB house rocks, I believe the locked boxes are on level 2. The keys are in each box on a keyring, so u lock them all, then try to pick them all, then lock them and start again.

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby aibandit » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Great thank you.

It will be a little while I started working other skills. I figured I'll create the character with 50 lp since it doesn't look like fun.

I'm grinding some other skills I'll just soulstone too it when I buy the 7th slot.
Hope is not a strategy.
Rest In Peace SSgt. Christopher Rudzinski

Chars: Engel des todes, MaDeuce (Pronounced (mä doos), Bandit, Infidel inc, Slayer
aibandit
Merchant
Merchant

Postby Gaul » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:59 am

I think at 98 I went to the cu place and got discorded by a paragon satyr to GM the skill. Don't know if it stills works that was a few months ago. I also used the THB picking house it worked wonders!
Gaul
Wanderer
Wanderer

Postby dlwiii » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:38 am

Hey I am just starting lockpicking, and found the THB house and all of its excellent boxes.

So - the biggest slow down for me seems to be locking the boxes. Double click on the key ring, then click on a box, then repeat for all the boxes.
I have lockpicking on a hotkey, so that goes quickly. Is there any way to get the keyring on a hotkey so I could lock them quickly as well? Right nowthe ring is locked down in the box so I cannot drag it to my backpack to use.

And other advice is greatly appreciated. Right now I'm using my mage for this, but might shift to my tinker so I can make lockpicks as I go.
dlwiii
Warrior
Warrior

Postby dlwiii » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:02 pm

Ok, in order to reduce the number of clicks and mouse moves, I am just locking and unlocking the same box over and over again. No matter that there's 20 of them, I just double click the key ring, click on the box right nexxt to hit, hit my F5 key (tied to lock picks->target cursor), and unlock that box. Then repeat over and over and over.

Does anyone know if there is any truth behind the idea that the lower your total skills, the more likely your skill gain? I have heard that when training you want your total skills to be below 250. But I am not sure of this.
dlwiii
Warrior
Warrior

Postby KDSonoma » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:04 pm

you should be able to set a macro to something like

use last object

or last skill

and then u could hit that macro and lock each box fast, then use your lp macro to unlock them fast.

Anyone played with this enough to know which option u pick so he can set a macro to hit the key ring fast?

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby dlwiii » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:34 am

here is the EC macro:

Key Ring: target -> the box
Wait 1 second
Lockpick: target -> the box
Wait 1 second
repeat 10 times

That works well. I am now making sets of boxes at 40, 50, 60, 70, and GM tinkering skill, and engraving their skill levels onto them. In the macro above, use whichever box is appropriate for your level. if you have a skill crystal ball or statue, aim for Optimal or Easy, because Challenging will waste lock picks. Easy has the same chance to gain, but less chance of losing picks.
dlwiii
Warrior
Warrior

Postby KDSonoma » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:56 pm

if u run low on lockpicks let me know, I have gazillions of them :)

KD
KDSonoma
King of Sonoma
King of Sonoma

Postby dlwiii » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:01 pm

I might very well take you up on that. carpenter-made boxes worked up until about 92 skill. Now I'm trying to open Miasma chests, and using up lockpicks rapidly. Good thing they are cheap. I have about 800 left now. but if you've got spares, I would appreciate it.
dlwiii
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Eleanor Rigby » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:27 pm

There must be some at the crafter house. Give me a shout when you see me online and I can get some for you.

~Eleanor
Eleanor Rigby
PAS Elder
PAS Elder

Medals: 2
Orkk Medal of Humility (1) Seth Medal of Compassion (1)

Return to General Discussion